[HowTo] Convert Manjaro to EndeavourOS

Thanks, but I had some issues while following the guide (mostly Arch key issues although Arch keyring is installed and up-to-date) and I didn’t want to start debugging already at that point.
Went with a fresh installation, which went great. The thing that took me longest when setting up Manjaro back then was getting my Samsung network printer’s scanner function working, but it surprisingly worked right on the first try.

For kernels, I run AMD only hardware, so I want to stay with newest kernels anyway :wink: might just give linux-zen a try.

And surprisingly, all my essential software is already up and running again including homeoffice. Most configs were simply copy&pasteable from my backup.

For the update-process: I want to go the other way. I already think about enabling testing and staging to get the newest llvm :wink:

3 Likes

Works a peach. Many of us here run zen.

1 Like

you can add with AKM package
and you will have zen or LTS version added on boot

Clean install with Linux-zen is the way to go, EndeavourOS base install is vanilla and relatively bare bones, which is a great starting point to configure your OS exactly the way you wish. No debloating as a first step.

With AMD hardware it just works, although I had to add amd_iommu=off to kernel parameters as I was getting some system hangs on suspend / wake cycle.

4 Likes
  1. Remove Manjaro
  2. Install Endeavour OS.

That’s all. :smiley:

6 Likes

Well, yeah, if you want to take the easy option… :grin:

4 Likes

I am pretty lazy lol

you say easy option, i say yes

2 Likes

Ya …3 minutes. Done! :rofl:

1 Like

it is easy to convert manjaro to endeavouros
it will take 30 min done

1 Like

7 mins if fresh install then!

EndeavourOS fresh install 3+ minutes for me. :wink:

the topic is Convert Manjaro to EndeavourOS
:wink:

EOS fresh intall, 5 min for me. Perfectly working. BTW

OK, this discussion doesn’t really add anything to this “tutorial” thread. How long it takes to perform a fresh installation of any OS is not really relevant here. The point is that it’s possible to convert a running Manjaro installation (or Arch installation, for that matter) to EnOS. Most people would be better off installing fresh - which is covered in the OP - but for those who want to convert then it’s possible to do so.

9 Likes

I got an old laptop with atom cpu and I could not boot the eos iso, so I was digging in the trash can of the wild internet and found a script, which surprisingly actively developed here:

https://github.com/kskeigrshi/manjaro-to-archlinux.sh/releases/tag/6.1.0

So I ran it on a fresh manjaro VM and it pretty much comes out stock Arch with only the theming remains as I found out he/she must have liked the colors, anyway it should be an easy task to get the eos stuff on a vanilla. Now, onto the metal…

I must add, that this was tested on Xfce…

2 Likes

I want to convert also. Is the guide still working fine?

probably, but a clean fresh install is easier and faster, especially if you have /home on a separate partition .

If not, I would move home to a new partition and make a fresh install.

2 Likes

It would need some adjustments to account for the changes since it was written.

Would help to know which adjustments…

Well, you would have to go through the instructions and understand how both EOS and Manjaro have changed since then.

Since I personally think reinstalling is a better option than converting, I have no intention of doing that work…

3 Likes