[HowTo] Convert Manjaro to EndeavourOS

I got muddled & instead painted my windows & installed locks on my letterbox.

It’s always those fiddly details wot bite me…

3 Likes

I just used a different server because the one provided was not working. Looking at the post it has been edited to a different one now. I personally used keys.gnupg.net.

1 Like

As it turned out, the problem was the missing entry in ~/.gnupg/dirmngr.conf.
This is where you can enter your keyserver, e.g.
keyserver keys.gnupg.net
Then you don’t have to specify it on the cmd line.

Damn you… that was my line! :smiley:

Thanks for this Jonathon… will make it easier to transition my main system over rather than another clean install… after all, this ain’t Winblows… It doesn’t need annual blowaways!

1 Like

I sincerely apologise, & beg you to show forgiveness… pls don’t chain me to the back of the tank & take me for a scrape around to Dinsdale’s place.

4 Likes

I’ve got my Sherman warming up right now. I’d say a good scraping is way overdue.

4 Likes

Is this the Sherman we’re talking about? :slight_smile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman

1 Like

no, he mean this
sherman-02-sgs

7 Likes

Thanks for the information. So that’s what it’s about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Peabody

I was looking at this as I’m feeling a bit too lazy to reinstall a rather fresh Manjaro system, but this looks like it’s even more work than doing that :joy: Thanks for sharing the detailed instructions in any case, it’s at least helped me decide a fresh install is the way to go when I can be bothered :slight_smile:

1 Like

A fresh install is the best way to go, imo.

4 Likes

Probably the better choice. In the meantime, perhaps create a script for setting up as you wish it to be when done? You could clone some settings dirs, and build a package list from what you have now, for instance… so when you go for it, it won’t take long.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing that, but I decided this was a nice opportunity to review all my configs and to winnow out the packages I do not use. So I did a clean install without making a package list or copying over any settings. This is week three of configuring it :rofl:

I don’t have to have everything configured right away, when I notice something bothers me, I change it. I’m happy with configuring everything afresh. For example, I shrunk my .zshrc by almost a half…

1 Like

yeah, thankfully my system is rather lightweight. I have everything important setup in syncthing so copying across settings and important files is a breeze and there’s only a handful of packages I need on top of that. It doesn’t take me too long, but now that I’m older I’m not as excited as I used to be as a kid reinstalling and setting things up again :joy: Weekend is here at least. Will try and find some time to do it then :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The reason I also prefer rolling releases (Arch.) :+1:

2 Likes

When I re-install, for whatever reason, I find 2 things. One, a mature install always accumulates too much stuff, stuff that I don’t miss when I re-install. The other is that the configuration I was used to, isn’t always better than the new defaults in a fresh install. Also I sometimes discover new settings that were added since the last install but never explored. Since I use a pretty basic Cinnamon, I just need a couple hours to restore the apps I miss and to tweak a few defaults settings.

1 Like

I agree! I wouldn’t go through all this. I would just do a fresh install. If you’re leaving it anyway just close the door and say Au revoir!

4 Likes

Thanks for the guide!
Still trying to figure out if I want to do a clean install and configure everything (which will take a loooong time, the stuff I need for homeoffice would even take hours) or convert my installation which should be possible in less then an hour but could lead to random behaviour xD

By the way:

Manjaro now killed the native switch and their steam-native package now is only a renamed arch package. Might be that this step will soon be obsolete as they could now remove the overlay completely.

5 Likes

Welcome@bs86

1 Like

A clean install will be… cleanest… but it turned out that my unstable install was only about ten packages away from Arch stable anyway. The weird behaviour I initially found was down to files from filesystem being removed and left unconfigured when reinstalled during the migration. Now I’m running my own personal Arch derivative (I overlay a few packages) and I think I’ve found fewer issues than with unstable over the same period (while finding/fixing a few upstream ones too).

Oh, also, if you need older LTS kernels, I run this too: Unofficial repo for older LTS kernels

4 Likes