How to switch from Antergos to EndevourOS

Thanks for continuing the work of my favourite distro Antergos. Is there any way to upgrade from Antergos to EndevourOS or do I need a clean install or does it happen automatically?

3 Likes

Automomatical is it not. but also you dont need a reinstall because of the nature, Arch-based. Mayby there comes a script. But manual is duable. For me atleast :slight_smile: its about changing repo’s having the keyring but most stuf you already have it. Depend on your DE also you have to checkout what you want to change.

Can any of the mods tell us specifically what’s going to be the difference between endeavour and pure arch? That is, which packages are going to be in endeavour’s repo?

@markoff
The difference isn’t huge, besides the light theming (Arc icons and theme) packages and apps like gparted, Firefox, Kalu and yay will be among those. We’re in beta and we’re still figuring out what will work for you (the user) and us the maintainers, so the final selection will be announced towards the 15th.
In the upcoming online installer, when not selecting the extra’s it will even install a vanilla DE.
We took Antergos’ philosophy that the distro is all about the easy installer, but with less bloat. That’s also the reason why we address distrohoppers and people who are already familiar with Arch, but want an easy install.

1 Like

What is the point of having firefox, gparted, kalu and yay in your repos? Why not the official arch repos?

This is to meet most of the community halfway, we already ditched Pamac, Chromium, Dropbox etc. that was included in the Antergos repo.

But what does that mean, “meet the community halfway”? What do you gain (or anyone really) from having these packages in your repo? Isn’t it worse for both the community and you? Isn’t it, from a security stand-point, one more step that needs to be considered?

Most of the community are /were used to the gui convenience Antergos had, we threw that overboard. Antergos wasn’t that “pure Arch safe” as it pretended to be. This community is what EndeavourOS is all about, we didn’t exactly make fresh and new start in that point of view. We do believe that new users will make less mistakes with us, than under Antergos. You need to get into the terminal to update,install and fix things. I know this doesn’t sit well with Arch purists, but you’ll also learn from your own mistakes and that’s where the community kicks in. The Antergos community aren’t Arch purists.

1 Like

If we want pamac i suppose we can install it. It is wise to do it?

@AndreasDimo
I’ve heard that the updated version of Pamac was causing trouble again…

Maybe, but i liked it a lot. I was learn for it from my he Antergos and i kind of use to it.

You’re free to use it, it’s up to you. We don’t hold you back or judge you on it.:wink: We’ve dropped it, so the system is easier to maintain for us.

Best alternative?

I think in the Gui apps Pamac is the best alternative, just browse with it and install the packages you want in the terminal (with yay if necessary) untill the bugs are fixed in Pamac.

2 Likes

I don’t undertand this reply. Why do you have firefox, gparted, kalu and yay in your repos? What is the need for that? What is the difference between having these packages in your repos or in the official arch repositories? You are just adding an extra step and that is a big no no, from a security perspective.

I’ve brought it out wrong, (because I’m doing three things at the same time) our repo won’t have double packages that already are in the Arch repo, it’s just the ones that are either custom made like the nvidia-installer and a notifier for rebooting the system if necessary after an update and some AUR packages that are used in the offline installer.
I’m very sorry for the confusion. Things are building up at the moment and the project is leaning on three persons, (luckily a team member returned) So forgive my communication error. Towards launch we will officially announce what is in the repo. There’s a lot of packages we still have to throw out of th former Antergos repo.:wink:

2 Likes

For the ISO we need to choose a browser, and on installed system you want one also from beginning. Firefox is an open and secure option here. You can uninstall if you do not like.
If you want a package GUI I would suggest pamac-classic from AUR. It is not effected by all the changes on the latest version.

The reason is to not force users to build yay from git, I assume?

1 Like

if here is some debian synaptic fan’s , in aur you have also a gui like tkpacman. looks pretty debianish but is written in tk :slight_smile: and i understand people likes pamac, but its always installable from aur anyway.

1 Like

It’s easy to migrate from antergos to endeavour, and a script to switch to our repo is easy. We’ll think about something in due time.

But for now we’re still studying how we’re gonna handle endeavour repo, so i don’t see a reason to suggest you to migrate right now (because things may change yet)

1 Like