How to run a stress-free EndeavourOS

… and sometimes, LTS has issues that do not occur in the mainline, because they are backporting patches at breakneck speeds, and sometimes they do so out of order:

There was such an issue recently:

2 Likes

It does happen, but it is exceptionally rare compared to the opposite.

2 Likes

While it is true that the very newest hardware (released in the last few months) sometimes does not work with the LTS kernel, how often is it that you use such new hardware? Personally, I put together a new computer for myself maybe twice in a decade, and when I do it, some of the hardware might be so new that it does not work with the LTS kernel. But it will work with the next LTS release.

So apart from that fairly niche use case, what specific benefits do you have from running the latest kernel? Do you notice any difference in performance? Can you even tell whether you’re using LTS or not, without actually checking it?

Deleted my post, it is useless or uninteresting to many noobs here.

Seriously though, great attempt to fix human nature! :+1:

honka_animated-128px-46

P.S.

Oh you’re too kind…i kill orphans on per-update basis!!! :rofl:

3 Likes

This is a great post. While I also had some minor problems from time to time, I never had a system breaking problem. It is much easier keeping my EOS (arch) running than it ever was for any of my Windows installations with the added benefit that all my stuff is actually up-to-date. That was definitely not the case on my previous Windows installs.

1 Like

@dalto Your post isn’t good but outstanding! :smile:

Regarding LTS: I use the current kernel but I can switch to LTS because I have it installed, of course.

As I have been using btrfs for the last 10 years or so /home is its own subvolume. I am very happy with btrfs.

3 Likes

Ok so, I do have an alias command I use to remove orphans…now I’m thinking I should rename it “Anakin”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since subvolumes share the physical space in a partition, there is no reason not to put it in it’s own subvolume. Adding additional subvolumes adds minimal complexity to your system.

My own method:

1. Install Galileo with xfce. A “potato” is fine. I’m using a ThinkPad T530 at the moment.
  2. Install “pacseek” first, then everything else.
  3. Update every 2 or 3 days.
  4. Marvel at how snappy quick the old beater is running.
  5. Hang out in the Forum “Lounge” because nothing ever breaks.

I’m not complaining. Boredom is a good thing compared to the alternative.

7 Likes

Not referring to the latest hardware. I just mean in general i have newer hardware within the last 3 years. I’m not using a decade or more older hardware. I just don’t feel it necessary to use an lts kernel for any reason. If i did i wouldn’t be using an Arch based OS. I’m sure i can’t really tell the difference running on lts verses the latest if all is working. But, newer hardware is faster, has more through put and generally is just going to work better with the latest software whether web browsing, downloading, building packages etc etc. Do i have the fastest best hardware available? No… i select what is the best within a budget but based on specs. If the budgets not big enough then it’s not worth it because you end up with the latest hardware that’s just not that good! As an example there are many processors available and at all price ranges. As an example I would never buy an I3 because i just feel it’s not adequate for my needs. There are many cases as well with motherboards that just don’t cut the mustard. I’m not saying using an lts kernel is wrong or bad. Just not for me.

2 Likes

Between those two No. The real world question is usually can you tell apart LTS/Mainline vs more desktop tuned kernels like Zen - and the answer is Yes here. At that point the tradeoff boils down to LTS vs something modified and/or newer and therefore potentially less stable anyway.

Out of curiosity (especially since I’m a fairly basic, low needs user), I just downloaded the LTS kernel. Watched a YouTube video, since I’ve not done this before. Used Brodies Install A New Arch Linux Kernel: SystemD Boot. We’ll live with this for awhile. Thanks!!! :purple_heart:

Just to clarify, if you are using EndeavourOS, you don’t need to make any changes for systemd-boot. It is all automated.

All you need to do is install the kernel and header packages.

1 Like

I copied arch.conf to lts.conf in /usr/share/systemd/bootctl.
When I rebooted, LTS was at the top of the boot menu.
I then went back and edited loader.conf switching arch to LTS, then rebooted again.

You must not be using EndeavourOS’s systemd-boot setup. We don’t have an arch.conf. We generate entries whenever you install, update or remove a kernel. It is all automatic.

1 Like

In other words, you have no rational reason to prefer the mainline kernel over LTS, and you are using the former solely because of an irrational “feeling”. Okay… No point in arguing with that. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Ha ha ha … i gave my rational explanation. I’m using newer hardware that is current. The next gen hardware is out now. It doesn’t make any sense to me to use an lts kernel on current hardware as the current kernel is more suited to work on the current kernel. If you don’t understand that then you don’t know much about hardware. :wink:

But if you can’t tell the difference, as you yourself have stated, on what basis do you claim that the newer kernel is more suited for your use case?

2 Likes

This is only true if your hardware is newer than the LTS kernel. Given that the LTS kernel usually 1-6 months old, this is a pretty uncommon case unless you have something very newly released.

The idea that the LTS kernel is only for people with older hardware is nonsensical.

6 Likes