How to rescue systemd-boot: missing UEFI entry

The issue described in Windows erased Systemd-boot entries in UEFI appears also on a MSI Laptop. Following the steps to resolve it, the Linux Boot Manager entry is successfully restored but no entry for EndeavourOS is available to select in the menu when booting.

The missing entry corresponds to efibootmgr not showing it. In the past under grub, --force did the trick:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=endeavouros-2632 --force --verbose

That same problem repeats whenever Windows decides it. I believe, it is related to shims even if Secure Boot = Off. Some other Linux’s do not experience the problem.

You have already done the equivalent of grub-install by running bootctl --install.

My guess would be that something actually erased the contents of your EFI partition.

If so, the way to fix that would be to chroot into your install as described in the linked post and then run reinstall-kernels

1 Like

[quote=“dalto, post:2, topic:42172”]
reinstall-kernels
[/quote] did the trick. To sum up what worked for me on a live stick:

sudo su
mkdir /mnt/boot; mkdir /mnt/efi
mount /dev/nnn /mnt # system # first!
mount /dev/nnn /mnt/efi # boot # second!
arch-chroot /mnt
bootctl install (EDIT)
reinstall-kernels
1 Like

Although it may work either way, it would definitely make more sense to run bootctl install before reinstall-kernels

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.