How-to Install pamac (GUI for pacman)

I did several fresh installs, and I use pacman and yay to install or update software.
But still, sometimes I feel better with a GUI for pacman which is pamac.
I tried instructions I found on the web till I found this one installing flawlessly.
So I thought I should share especially for newbies like me.
Installing Pamac on Arch With Yay.pdf (44.4 KB)
EDIT: Below is the text in the file.

switchedtolinux.com
Installing Pamac on Arch
With Yay
2 minutes
The Article
If you are searching the internet for how you
might install the easy GUI package manger
Pamac onto your Arch install, be aware most of
the instructions out there are still using Yaourt
which is no longer being maintained. Fortunately
there are many other AUR helpers out there to
pick from, and this set of instructions will show
you how to build Pamac with Yay instead of
Yaourt. As always, be sure to understand the
instructions you are typing into your terminal.
Here we go.
First, we will need to git into some repos, so
make sure your system is setup with a few
packages. I am running my demo on Archlabs
1 of 3
 9/25/21, 08:23
Installing Pamac on Arch With Yay
 about:reader?url=https%3A%2F%2Fswitchedtolinux....
which already supports git, so I do not need to
run these, but depending on how you built your
arch, you may need to:
#make sure you have what you need to
use git
$ sudo pacman -S --needed base-devel
git wget yajl
Once you are there, move into your temp
directory:
$ cd /tmp
The next step is to install Yay, which you can find
more details on their page here.
#install Yay; Do not use sudo...you
if you do, your download will be
owned by root but you cannot make
the package as root
$ git clone
https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
$ cd yay
2 of 3
 9/25/21, 08:23
Installing Pamac on Arch With Yay
 about:reader?url=https%3A%2F%2Fswitchedtolinux....
$ makepkg -si
Now to install Pamac:
#install Pamac
$ yay -S pamac-aur
It will ask for some inputs. I selected 1.) pamac-
aur
I removed dependencies after install
I selected None on the next prompt.
That is all there is to it. Now you will have Pamac
installed without the depreciated Yaourt.

I hope it helps.
Cheers.

2 Likes

You do know that Yay is shipped by default on EndeavourOS, right? So, Endeavour users can go straight to the step yay -S pamac-aur

6 Likes

Hi @Bryanpwo
So it is just one command!
I wish I knew/found it and did it instead of going through all this stuff! My bad :blush:. Sorry!

Edit: Why not get installed/included by default. Would be much easier for newbies!

1 Like

:point_down:

Welcome to EndeavourOS
A terminal-centric distro with a vibrant and friendly community at its core

Although, you could say EOS is somewhat drifting away from being ā€œterminal-centricā€ with their welcome app and some other GUI tools.

2 Likes

Of course, but was just thinking to make life easier for newbies, and to get more users to this wonderful distro. Not all users feel ok with the terminal. Just my 2 cents!

Actually one idea could be that pamac is being added to the EOS repo and offered as an installation option in the calamares installer.

1 Like

Perfect great idea :+1: :+1: :+1:. I wonder how a genius like me missed it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The EndeavourOS apps are also terminal-centric.
And the idea of our Apps is to make the jump start easier for new users, and help with system maintenance for everyone. Most of the used commands are terminal commands.

I do not want to start about pamac. I mean how often we should answer the same question? :face_with_monocle:

And this new fancy TTY-NoX-Distro will be released soon :laughing:

5 Likes

I was just -as one of the community- thinking loud. Thatā€™s all.

Whatā€™s this? a link please.
EDIT: Is it different from https://endeavouros.com/news/our-iso-next-has-arrived/ ?
Should I reinstall TTY-NoX-Distro, or it will come as an update/upgrade?
Thank you.

Shouldnā€™t be a reproach, itā€™s just true that the same question has been asked over and over again for the past 2 years;)

Here again:

1. Pamac will not be installed per default, users need to start understanding basic command line package management to be able to solve package issues with their system.

2. It is 1000 times easier to help someone by using the terminal.

3. Users are free to use whatever they like on their system.

8 Likes

This is a running joke only :wink:

TTY = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_console
No X = no X-System https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

I agree with you.
Thank you.

Sorry! I thought it is something new really :rofl:
But just curious, I believe I donā€™t really need to download and reinstall https://endeavouros.com/news/our-iso-next-has-arrived/
Right?
Should I better

You can install it by using this command:

`yay -S eos-apps-info`

as shown on the webpage?

@limotux This article explains our choice regarding Pamac:

10 Likes

Interesting, logical, convincingā€¦ well, this might be the reason I always say that EOS didnā€™t exceed my expectations but it exceeded as well my dreams.

But Iā€™m always having newbies to Linux in my back mind, because Iā€™m so enthusiastic for Linux in general and EOS in particular and adoption!

Maybe, what @moson suggested is a genius idea.

Thatā€™s only my point.

Missing the pointā€¦ it is not an elite kind of a decision to not include pamacā€¦ you can use it if you want but starting archbased only using a GUI to manage packages will not let users start diving into pacman and usage of the command line at all ā€¦ till user got an issue and can not solve it.
It is a decision made out of experience from helping users for a long time, all founders are former Moderators from Antergos Forum.

The same counts for adding it to the installer as an option it would be the same as installing it per default.
Users that miss adding the option will ask the same question and others will simply think it is the default.

And yay pamac is not a very complicated command at all, if you read what it gives out in the terminal you will already understand a lot about what exactly it will do and how it works.

5 Likes

Hello everybody!

Iā€™m new to EOS, just installed it for the first time yesterday. Iā€™m coming from Manjaro so Iā€™m used to Pamac. I didnā€™t use it for updates on Manjaro but for installing/removing packages. I think itā€™s handy to quickly see descriptions, repos and to check the build files for AUR packages.
So I decided to install it on EOS. I googled a bit and saw that there are different packages for Pamac. I figured out that pamac-all includes support for Snap/Flat (which I donā€™t need) but I still donā€™t know what the difference between pamac-aur and pamac-aur-git is. I chose the latter one ('cause I saw that the maintainer is active here) and it seems to work fine. Still would like to learn what the difference is between those packages.

i rarely use pamac, but this one is the most complete for beginners. pamac-all-git

I understand and agree with you.
I know I have a problem that Iā€™m always thinking of newbies all the time.

Welcome and Iā€™m sure you will enjoy.
I myself came as well from Manjaro.
Try what @Bryanpwo suggested:

EDIT:
I recommend after installing pamac you do your best with command line whether pacman or yay
Very easy and powerful. And you will have the tools to really control your system.

1 Like