How-to Install pamac (GUI for pacman)

When I was on Manjaro, about 2 years ago, I used Pamac. Since I am on EOS I use only yay and I have learned step by step to manage my installations with CLI.
The only time I did use pamac - about 15 days ago - was because yay refused to delete a package which would have broken a dependency. I though I would be smart and I used pamac to delete the same package. The result was that I pamac accepted to delete it and didn’t give me any warning… I was happy until the next reboot when I could not log in EOS, and I even not chroot from a live usb.
Bottom line and learning from the experience:

1. I stick with command lines and won’t try to be smart again.
  2. It was an opportunity to reformat, and now I run EOS on BTRFS instead of Ext4.
4 Likes

-git packages are built against the very latest sources (last commit) in the git repository.
Whereas “regular” packages are built with specific versions.

Normally you’d want to use the non -git version unless there are specific reasons why to use the very latest code-base (e.g. a feature or bugfix that has not yet made it’s way into an official release version).

1 Like

Welcome @NX-01 to EnOS’ forum!

1 Like

Thx for the welcome! And yeah, I want to learn more about Linux, how it works and I want to use the terminal more often. I’m not afraid of the terminal, never was. Also used the command line on Windows when it was necessary. But: I’m pragmatic, so if a GUI works and it’s easier/faster to use then I will use it.
See, there’s a reason why I use Pamac for installing packages (as I said, it gives me a better overview etc.). I used it since day 1 in Manjaro and I never had a problem. It just works for installing, it has (for me) advantages over Pacman for this use case, so I use it.
But there’s also a reason why I don’t use it for updates. First is that it’s usually just faster and simpler to open a terminal and type sudo pacman -Syu. Second is that there once was a problem with a update on Manjaro. Something with conflicting dependencies, don’t really remember details. I checked their forums and saw that others already reported the problem. The “official” answer was that there’s a workaround via terminal BUT they recommend everyone to use Pamac instead of Pacman because Pamac would solve such problems itself. So I thought ok, let’s give it a try. Pamac was working for more then 20 minutes, stopped with a lot of error messages I didn’t understand and left me with an unusable system. Luckily I could restore my last timeshift backup. Then I went the route via terminal, resolved the problem, did a sudo pacman -Syu and everthing was working again. So, never ever I will use Pamac for updates again. I just use, whatever works best for me, be it terminal or GUI;-)

Quick and good explanation, thank you! But wouldn’t it be more in line with the Bleeding Edge-philosophy of Arch/EOS to use the Git version?

Thank you!

1 Like

welcome to Endeavouros forum @NX-01 .

1 Like

It’s not that Arch is rebuilding packages for every single commit that happens in some software. That would be a bit to insane :wink:

1 Like

If it works for you great! I have never installed yet pamac on eos but used it in manjaro in the past.

The only thing I could read through the lines over and over in this forum about this topic is: 1) ok to inspect packages, 2) installing/removing your packages via pamac can break dependencies, more so than via terminal/pacman.

For 2) dont ask me why, just what I read.

I always use, works good.

yay -S pamac-aur-git
1 Like

Well, I’ve been on Linux since 2000 (till 2013), then back again a month ago till I am settled with EOS.
So, it’s good you are familiar with the command line.
Honestly, since 2000 when I started the command line was much easier and faster.
pamac, I think, it’s what Windoze users are used to. It somehow gives sense of security. But honestly command line is much easier and faster (though sometimes it keeps asking me questions that sometimes make me feel lost)

You are on the right track, just dive in, if you kept feeling the water with your feet you will not do it. Just dive in, break it, reinstall, break again, reinstall again…

I did myself like 8 installations in the past 8 days since I started EOS and it was fun :rofl:.
I learnt a lot with the help of this wonderful community. :+1:

1 Like

We’re geared towards terminal centric beginners and intermediate users. There’s plenty of fantastic beginner distros out there. Our goal is not necessarily to just have more users. Although we seem to be doing a great job of it.

As noted by others, our target audience is not GUI beginners, but terminal centric users.

4 Likes

My 2 cents, Bleeding edge sounds interesting but you may have lots of problems. If you care about a having a working machine for general purpose day to day use better settle for a little bit non bleeding edge.

For example, with all my due respect to all, I tried BTRFS, but had problems,
they went away when I reinstalled the poor old Ext4. Please read this Baloo is The Responsible of Unresponsivenes to get an idea what I mean.

Feel free to ask whatever.

You may find Linux Mint works great if you just need everything to work all the time.

It’s what I run on my work computer. It’s fantastic.

1 Like

The traditional wisdom, that I agree with, Quality not Quantity.

And yes, you are doing a great great job.

Well, the same silly question that pops in my mind, why so! :confused: why not for everybody (including absolutely illiterate users, grandpa and grandma and others)

1 Like

I’ve been in it for some time and on LMDE, it’s really nice but as far as my experience EOS is :+1: :+1: :+1:

Because things like Ubuntu and Linux Mint and MX Linux and…

We’d just be “like everyone else.”. Why not just be Endeavour? We already have much better distros to accomplish Linux for grandpa.

3 Likes

You miss the point. There are already distros that serve this purpose. This is not one of them. This thread has been marked as solved. It should be allowed to close or at least stay on topic.

3 Likes

Well, let’s make it even a bit more bleeding edge then :wink: To be honest, I don’t know much yet about Linux software developement and how Git and so on works. Another thing to lern I guess.

As I said, I have been using Pamac for installing packages for about 1.5 years now and never had any problems. But, to be fair, I’m not the kind of user who installs packages daily or so. I know what I want/need and that’s pretty much it. So over those 1,5 years I maybe installed, hm, not sure, about 15-20 packages maybe?

No, not at all. Windows is completly different here. That was maybe the hardest part for me when I switched from Windows to Linux. On Windows, when installing any program, I just got my .exe from a trusted source, compared checksums, checked it with Malewarebytes and also checked it on virustotal. This way I could be pretty sure everything’s ok with the file. On Linux, I have to trust the maintainers of the repos, which was (and sometimes still is) pretty hard for me. Don’t get me wrong, no disrespect, I’m sure they do a great job usually, but after years of doing it the “Windows way”…it’s just a mental thing I guess.

Thx for the warning, but I’m well aware of the distro I chose. I run it on my personal netbook, which I don’t really need on a daily basis or so. If anything breaks that’s not really a problem. It’s more or less just a toy to play around a bit;-) Otherwise I would have chosen another distro like Kubuntu or Mint. I like bleeding edge so my decision was between Fedora and EOS.

If a distribution of Linux was to work for everyone for newbies, grandpas and grandmas as well as some more experienced people, well that would take a LOT of work from the maintainers of that distro. What you have to remember is that these distros are not corporate companies like Apple or Microsoft who sell their products for money. These things are freely given, while the people who develop and maintain them also have to lead their lives outside this, pay their bill, taxes etc. Support them with suggestions yes, but to demand too much, no way!