How to check the ISO with SHA512 and GnuPG?

Hello everybody, I’m completely new to Arch and decided to go with EndeavourOS as it provides a graphical installation process and has an awesome community. I have downloaded the ISO and wanted to verify it, but I’ve no idea how to do so… Can anyone please explain it to me step by step on how to do so? Thank in advance and wishing you all a blessed New Year!

Welcome avc,

Are you currently running Windows, Mac, or Linux right now? Each one has a different way to check the SHA512

Download the ISO and the appropriate files. Instructions are here:

https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/

Edit: If you don’t understand the wiki just ask.

3 Likes

Sorry for not clarifying about my system, currently I’m using Windows 10, but first I’m going to install in VMware…

And can you please tell if VirtualBox or VMware is better for running EndeavourOS? (I’m currently emphasising on performance, checking how fast it’ll run in a VM, so that I can get a brief idea on how it will run on my main system)

Anything in a VM is not going to give you as good a performance as if you ran something natively. Running EndeavourOS in a VM is great for testing purposes, but it’s not ideal if you’re trying to get a proper feel for how fast or speedy a distro is. Think of using a VM is like running a V8 engine, but with only 4 cylinders firing. It’ll run of course, but it’s not going to give you the full power and potential you’re looking for to truly determine performance. For that, a bare metal install is always the approach to go.

As for installing from Windows, I haven’t used Windows in like a decade, so I may not be the best resource for answering your question on that. Ubuntu is another popular distro that has many questions already answered in their various support channels. There is this link that may be more helpful to you than I could be, so consider checking this out:

Edit: I will add for my own experience at least, as long as your internet connection is fast enough you should be fine. I’ve verified I don’t know how many .iso file over the years and never ran into any issues verifying. I think it was more an issue many many years ago, but I’ve yet to ever having experienced it myself. Nonetheless I still verify .isos beforehand more out of habit than out of necessity. Take that with a grain of salt though if you will.

1 Like

To get idea without installation just write iso to USB stick and try it in live mode
VM can give you idea of functionality, but not performance at all…

I do run both vmware and virtualbox on EndeavourOS mainly for testing purposes. I also have EndeavourOS dual boot with Windows 11. Ultimately it’s your decision to install it on vm or dual boot with Windows. It’s definitely better running it natively. I haven’t run them on Windows in a while. My choice would be to dual boot.

Hello everyone, sorry for not replying to all of you. I finally verified the SHA512 checksum of the ISO.

Now I have to verify the ISO signature with GnuPG. In the method given in the main website and in the link Scotty_Trees has provided above, both are on how to verify it in Linux.
As I’m on Windows, it wouldn’t be possible for me to type in those commands as it would throw me an error (plz correct me if I’m wrong).

Any guide or help on how to do it on Windows would be appreciated. I’m really excited to try EndeavourOS out!

How to verify the ISO image on Windows might help.

1 Like

I actually used to run Linux Mint on one of my laptops before I did something and messed it up and the hard disk got corrupted.

I’m familiar with the method you have linked above. But Linux Mint is a Ubuntu based distro and it gets its verification keys from the Ubuntu keyserver. In the line its also written hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com, which means that it receives the key from the Ubuntu servers (please correct me if I’m wrong).

And EndeavourOS is an Arch based distro so I’m not quite sure how it’ll work out. I’ll try it out anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

If you want to check using Windows, you should simply download the Windows installer for e.g. Gpg4win from this website. It is absolutely independent of any Linux distribution you are using. Your running OS is supposed to be Windows.

And after that, should I just follow what is given the Linux Mint forums?