How do you use themes, and which ones can you recommend?

I have the latest Plasma 6.1.3, tried to install the highest rated global themes from KDE store, using the settings app, and nothing worked - I keep getting theme errors, errors when I try to ‘Use’ the theme, or nothing happens. I made sure to select themes marked for Plasma 6.

Then I looked into the page on store.kde.org, like - https://store.kde.org/p/1360125, and there are no install directions and multiple components are listed.

It seems that what KDE does is download the package then run install.sh? I also saw some news that KDE is reconsidering this because its a security risk.

But it wasn’t clear if I’m supposed to install things like Kvantum by myself before? or when/how the theme change takes effect? the built-in themes work perfectly.

I see a lot of topics about global theme errors going back years, on this and other forums, so I doubt its a new issue.

• can someone recommend some working themes in Plasma 6? all I want is a global menu on top, and a dock (it used to be latte dock but now it’s just a panel I believe) and system tray in bottom center, and some theming thats not garish
  • how do I reset the KDE settings and delete all the themes that failed, and make sure its in a clean state?

Here is a good way to start:

To customize your desktop take look here:

1 Like

The easiest way to install themes is to download them and then implement them in the system. Usually in the directory

~/.themes

This way everything is in the user directory and you can choose which theme you want to use via system settings

I would not recommend that. If you want to install something, use the system settings in the colors and designs section. Search for e.g. Otto and install it as indicated

1 Like

Install:

1 aur/ocs-url 3.1.0-7 (+64 0.79) (Installed: 3.1.0-7.3)
    An install helper program for items served via penCollaborationServices ocs://).

You get a new button:

This installs to the correct location.

thank you !!