How Do You Solve Tech Problems?

Just want to know how our community goes about solving issues with their software and/or devices.

• Web Search (Google, Bing, Brave, etc.)
  • App Developer Channel (GitHub, KDE, Gnome, Discord, email, etc.)
  • General Forum (Reddit, Stack Exchange, Quora, etc.)
  • Distro-Based Forum (EndeavourOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.)
  • Wiki or Manual (Arch, App Wiki, Tool Wiki, Device manual, etc.)
  • Problem? What Problem?
  • Other… (Explain Below)
0 voters

You may choose up to three options.

The Arch Wiki is an incredible thing. So glad it exists…

5 Likes

Try voting again. I changed the general forum option a bit.

1 Like

I voted but 1) if problem was distro-specific I would vote one way and 2) if the problem was distro-agnostic (i.e. lan problem, specific software problem like Okular, or just need a plain old CLI command) I would vote another way.

^^ but since I don’t think you are weighting sequence it doesn’t matter because it would be some variation of your top four since I never hit the dev channels.
Rock on :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. I allowed people to pick their 3 most likely ways of fixing things, knowing that if I only allowed one, most people would only choose (or feel forced to choose) the wiki option.

1 Like

Case in point towards your thesis:
I wanted to reinstall the small weird Alpine distro on a small partition I made. I really loved it during the pandemic. It’s CLI-only install and complicated. I threw up my hands at the wiki (today) and found some plain English articles in mainstream linux sources and printed them out. That’s kind of the wiki-in-reverse scenario. But I got what I wanted.
Be really interested in what your results look like in a few days.

1 Like

I use 4 options (search, forum, distro-based and wiki)

I think the most useful options are distro-based and wiki, but I still search for general linux tasks. General forum is my last resort though, some people can be scary :worried:

2 Likes

Depends on the problem. I may use one or more of the above strategies.

3 Likes

I use all of the top 5 :sweat_smile:

Totally depends on the kind of issue I’m facing. If it seems like an issue with the application itself, then I search through its bug tracker, subreddit, Matrix channel and such. If the issue seems to be more related to my distro rather than the app itself, then, Arch Wiki and forums.

2 Likes

Just accidentally deleted my etc/default/grub file while using Ranger.

Thank heavens I learned what a .pacnew file is and had one right there in the folder. :weary::person_facepalming::sweat_smile:

This is why the Wiki/Forum is so important. :pray:

How? Did you launch ranger with root permissions?

Yeah. :sweat_smile: Was trying to edit the same file. But I pressed X… and apparently, that means delete without asking. :weary:

Or maybe it was X and another key. :person_shrugging:

Yikes. Might want to be a bit more careful next time. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Error: Type Mismatch! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yep. Now, I have the Ranger manual downloaded, so I won’t make that mistake again. :sweat_smile:

I’ve never used ranger before, but does it prompt you for your sudo password if you try to do things that require elevated permissions? If it does, then it might be worth considering just running ranger with normal permissions and then typing in your password when prompted.

I entered su first, then launched Ranger and navigated to the directory. I imagine it would’ve prompted me, but I didn’t give it the chance. :rofl:

I see. You probably forgot that you were in su. What does your terminal prompt look like currently?

If the pacnew file wasn’t there, I would’ve just gone to GitHub and copied the contents from there. Not really a big deal.

But it was scary at first. :scream:

EDIT: Reinstalling and regenerating Grub should also fix something like this, I think. :thinking:

All is well. I’ve actually restarted since and the only things that have changed is that I have the basic Grub menu now, and my other install doesn’t show up. But I already re-added the other install. I may or may not re-add the Grub theme.

Wait, and my Plymouth theme is gone too. Again, may or may not re-add it.