How do you play and organize your digital music content?

Spotify is great for finding songs, but…the big hairy BUT…add to you list and o day the song is no longer licensed for them to host. So there is that.

• Free is great, put up with ads…however using Brave browser to stream over using the Spotify app seems to have a lot less add interruption :grin:

Also, traveling & not on premium, data.

Own your own, or download from YouTube to make your own mp3 from the dload, freedom…but you work for it.

The latter is palatable over all

I have all my music on my Unraid server, from which i also stream on the go. Since I’m lazy, I organize all my media data with Jellyfin.

1 Like

I use yt-dlp -x to download from Youtube and strip out video in one go, also this can be used to download entire playlists. For playback I use VLC but I am looking for another application which

• remembers multiple playlists
  • supports nested playlists (an m3u file pointing to another m3u file)
  • saves playlists with relative paths for music files instead of absolute paths
  • supports adding more files to an existing playlist

VLC supports #1, #3 and probably #2 but has problems with #4 so I am open to suggestions.

Rhythmbox should be able to do all of these…

Some knowledge on ‘hand’-editing playlist files may be required in any case, me thinks.

:v:

I don;t listen to much. I like to buy from 7-digital, import into Rhythmbox and sync to my emby server

That’s what I’m trying to avoid. How do I create a playlist in Rhythmbox and add songs to it? I tried Rhythmbox before but couldn’t figure out how to use it.

I have all my music, pictures, and videos on my RPi 4b LAN server that has a miniDLNA server running. One main folder I have is name MP3. In that folder, I have sub-folders for different artists, and a couple of folders like oldies, the possibilities are endless.
Then VLC allows be to choose music many different ways.

Album, All Music, Artist, Folders, Genre, Playlists (I haven’t tried this one), and Recently Added.

Plus I can play my music on my Smart TVs, my Yamaha audio video receiver, and anything else on the network with a DLNA client. Plus all my music, pictures, and video are all in one place and easy to back up.

Pudge

2 Likes

See the red arrow. - It adds files from your music library (even intelligently), or you can just drag files on to the new playlist. Ultra simple.

If you do have a music library on your computer or network, you have to point it to it in the progs. settings.

1 Like

I jump between Plasma and Gnome. When running Gnome I use Rhythmbox with my DLNA server.

As far as I know, VLC and Rhythmbox are the only two music players with a DLNA client built it. Anybody know of any other music players that use DLNA?

Pudge

Sure don’t. But why?

I just discovered the desktop-art plugin for rhythmbox (see lower left in my screenshot above).

It features play/pause and play-next/-previous on mouse-over. Click to show the app running in background, click again to make it vanish to the tray.

Works and looks great!

1 Like

Just curious. One never knows when something new and better might come along.
Thus far I am perfectly happy with VLC or Rythmbox.

Pudge

Yep. Both are most versatile.
Must say I prefer Rhythmbox where-ever I can, as digging through my huge library is way easier with it. And then I also love to ‘view’ what I’m listening, which is not as well done in VLC. - Especially with that new (to me) plugin desktop-art

1 Like

I agree with all the bullet points in the above post :arrow_up:

But the cynic in me finds a first (and so far only) post that bumps a thread that was last active in February, to promote a particular product, a little suspicious and reminiscent of pork luncheon meat.

What do you think @moderators ?

2 Likes

SpamGPT? :rofl:

I used to have over 300 gigs of mp3 files but they went to nirvana and now I steal music from Youtube and Spotify :skull_and_crossbones:

Sometimes I miss my organized collection but I am too lazy to start over. :yawning_face:

1 Like

I have an external hard drive that contains my music library. I organise it using MusicBrainz Picard, with a messy script that automatically saves to folders depending on the artist name and if it’s a V/A compilation. I do contribute to MusicBrainz every now and again, with my biggest contribution being a plugin to submit tags from your files to MusicBrainz, mainly so people can add genre tags to recordings.

I used to play it using MusicBee even on Linux thanks to WINE. For people like me with complex genre groupings it’s great, especially the tag hierarchy feature, but now I’m looking for something native. Quod Libet I’m on two heads with because I don’t use GNOME (and it doesn’t look that nice in KDE - no fault of its own), if I go MPD I’ll probably have to whip up a tool to automatically handle such groupings as well as ratings. I’ve tried Tauon and it’s probably my best bet, but the generators aren’t as good as QL’s queries.

2 Likes

While I was running Linux Mint, I simply played my music via Rhythmbox. I don’t do anything special to organize it however. I just do a little maintenance in regard to the filename so I have some consistency. Since hopping into EOS, I play my music through the CLI and VLC.

1 Like