How do I keep KWin's influence to a minimum on a particular app?

Hi guys,

I REALLY hope someone can help me here. I have an issue with KWin affecting an app that I run via Wine. I’m running MuLab 9 demo via Wine, and everything works fine, except for one issue. When you open ML9 and right-click on any track head, and then click on “Choose Target Module” as in the image, the window goes on and off instantly. It likes that the new window that should pop up stays behind the main window.

Why do I think there is something to do with KWin? Because if I use KDE with Openbox, I can keep that window on top, holding CTRL or SHIFT when I click on “Choose Target Module”. That works!

Vfverwe

Another clue that the problem may be with KWin is a workaround found here, where you just need to uncheck the option “Allow the window manager to control the windows” on winecfg. That option basically takes the app away from KWin control. However, this workaround has some minor problems, too.

So, my question is, is there a way I can create Windows Rules to minimise the influence of KWin on an app? My logic is that if the app works with Openbox and it works when I don’t allow the WM to control the window (via Wine winecfg), maybe it will work if I can reduce the “influence or impact” of Kwin on the app.

Any thoughts?

Settings → Window management → Window rules

Create new rule, then try to match that window, and then press add property (bottom left), probably forcing Block compositing (it’s in the bottom of list) would be it.

Thanks, but I already disabled it:

Settings → Display and Monitor → Compositor → Compositing: Enable on startup unchecked.

No luck.

Well, if you’re sure that compositor is completely disabled, then it’s something else

1 Like

This is a classic Wayland bug/behavior. Do you run on Wayland?

Note: I wouldn’t have to ask if you had posted your system info, as EnOS wiki clearly advices… :person_shrugging: :wink:

Sorry:

Operating System: EndeavourOS
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.93.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.15.36-1-lts (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620

Wine: wine-staging 7.7-1

I would first ask upstream support, as it includes too specialized applications (Wine framework and a Windows program) for a Linux environment.