How can i change login screen wallpaper in my EOS xfce4

So i have just installed EOS and loving it so far than windoze and i have one query about how to change the wallpaper of login screen in xfce4 just like we do in windows? Can i change it to the pics i have in my downloaded folder if yes then how?

I haven’t access to an Xfce DE at the moment but I think you could specify the path to the background picture you want in the file /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf:

background=/path/to/picture

If I remember correctly, lightdm-slick-greeter won’t read from directories under home so you would need need to put your picture some where else, like /usr/share/backgrounds (if this is available in Xfce) or some such.

2 Likes

You can either edit the /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf file to add the following line, or install a package to change the login screen using the user interface.

user-background = false

The package to install is community/lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings which is described as Settings editor for the LightDM GTK+ Greeter. To install it, it’s sufficient to run sudo pacman -S lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings.

EnOS by standard uses lightdm-slick-greeter, but one can change that to lightdm-gtk-greeter.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LightDM#Greeter

Or this:

install lightdm-settings
yay -S lightdm-settings
copy your wallpaper/s to a place where the can be used by the DM because it can not read folder inside your users home:
sudo cp /path/to/wallpaper.jpg/png /usr/share/backgrounds/
And start the tool:
sudo lightdm-settings

1 Like

Is that a terminal as in terminal-centric ? :stuck_out_tongue: :sweat_smile:

PS.
sudo lightdm-settings
I guess that is so close you get :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

it needs some terminal commands to run before you get the GUI :wink:

yeah…

:wink:

get what?

do i have to write the second command in terminal as exactly as you have written?

Sorry i am a complete noob in linux and i dont really understand these things

cp = https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/cp.1.html

you need to replace the input path (source) with the one to the picture you want to use…

cp {source-path/filename} {target-path/}

I guess that is so close you get

?

get what close to what or what ever its a joke? joking? not terminal-centric and bad to even try ?

Yes.

Of course not but not in line with the identity/image/ambition(?) of the distro perhaps?

This is a misinterpretation.
It’s not about doing everything in the terminal. Otherwise, it would be wrong to have a graphical installer at all and to allow the installation of desktop environments. Archlinux is terminal centered in terms of system management. Package management e.g. But it’s perfectly legitimate to use a tool to customize the settings of a graphical login manager, isn’t it?

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I beg to differ.

To my understanding, terminal-centric would mean that if a goal can be achieved via terminal, it should take precedence over a GUI app (which in this case is not even in the official repos).

It is.

But if for solving an issue, priority is given to a GUI solution, then I don’t understand what “terminal-centric” mean as in:

terminal-centric

But at the end of the day, this is the least of my headaches, if at all :face_with_head_bandage: :sweat_smile:

i did as you said but on login screen now it is only showing white screen not the wallpaper i had set

What i do not understand is why i was putting in question ? it was not me in the first place starting to suggest a GUI app at all.
My most was a follow up after two others already start suggesting them…

But this is offtopic, and i do not see why i should feel like doing something wrong in the first place.

1 Like

do you set it in lightdm-settings?

yeah after that i tried selecting photos from my desktop but it wont let me i even tried copying it to usr xfce folder but it seems i dont have the permisiion

yes you need to use sudo to get permission to write there as in my info above shown.

and you have to run sudo lightdm-settings from a terminal because it need setting permission too …

In the end, its true that lightdm-settings is not easier to use instead of doing this manually from the terminal… what would teach also to understand what you do…

I was only giving the missing info on what others posted before.