Help request: No HDMI audio with kernel 6.1+

Hello Sirs.

I can’t get any HDMI audio with kernel 6.1+, and more precisely:

• kernels ‘linux-lts 6.1.15-1’ and ‘linux 6.2.2.arch1-1’ audio fails (‘Dummy Output’) via HDMI, but is OK via audio jack/cable, as well as via bluetooth;
  • Kernel ‘5.15.96.61.realtime1-1-rt-lts’ works well.

I’ve logged the results of the following tests for both kernel 6 (no HDMI audio) and kernel 5 (all audio ok), and I’ve published them all on my MEGA cloud:

Here are my logs:

• HDMI-lts-alsa.log
$ uname -a
$ grep "^GRUB_CMDLINE" /etc/default/grub
$ cat /proc/asound/modules
$ sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel
$ sudo modprobe snd_hda_codec
$ lsmod | grep snd
$ ls /etc/modprobe.d/
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/disable-dmic.conf
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
$ aplay -l
$ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
$ sudo lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
$ sudo alsa-info.sh --stdout
  • HDMI-lts-inxi-Aa.log
$ inxi -Aa
  • HDMI-lts-modinfo.log
$ sudo modinfo soundcore
  • HDMI-lts-pacman-audio.log
$ pacman -Qs alsa
$ pacman -Qs pipewire
$ pacman -Qs pulseaudio
  • HDMI-lts-pactl-sinks.log
$ pulsemixer -l
$ pactl list short sinks
$ pactl list sinks
  • HDMI-lts-pipewiredaemons.log
$ systemctl --user status pipewire pipewire-pulse

My neofetch log is:

$ neofetch --off --stdout

Distro: EndeavourOS Linux x86_64
Model: PC BOX
Kernel: 5.15.94.59.realtime1-1-rt-lts (vs. 6.1.15-1-lts)
Pac: 1871 (pacman)
Shell: zsh 5.9
Res: 1920x1080
WM: bspwm
Theme: Arc-Dark [GTK3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK3]
CPU: Intel Pentium J4205 (4) @ 2.600GHz [48.0°C]
GPu: Intel Apollo Lake [HD Graphics 505]
Memory: 1547MiB / 5764MiB
CPU Usage: 5%
Disk (/): 41G / 230G (19%)

My knowledge about all this is really poor, but I suspect the only way is to wait for a new release of kernel(s) 6.1+: but just in case, Your help is so appreciated.

Thanks for Your attention,
Piero

A lot of the information you posted for logs i can’t see. Do you have the following installed?

sof-firmware
alsa-ucm-conf

Thanks ricklinux: got both.

$ pacman -Q sof-firmware alsa-ucm-conf

sof-firmware 2.2.4-1
alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.8-1

(I’m sorry you can’t see my logs: any better suggestion? maybe pastebin works better https://pastebin.com/search?q=tags%3A(snd_hda_intel) - for instance?)

But what puzzles me is ‘why with kernel(s) 6.1+’.

After all I have changed nothing, and the same identical hardware and configs are completely ok with Kernel ‘5.15.96.61.realtime1-1-rt-lts’ (exactly as with all my previous linux-lts: I don’t even know what ‘rt-lts’ is - I’ve learnt it exists by chance, searching for any linux kernel < 6 )

Audio issues are extremely difficult to decipher because there is are so many variables and so many logs to look at and configuration files. When you post output from commands that are smaller you can just paste the output here as long as you use code tags. If the output is large it is better to use for instance commands to send the output and then post the url. It is also much easier to read.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03/

So, here are my logs (‘NO’= HDMIaudio fails on lts 6.1+, ‘OK’=HFMIaudio works on rt-lts 5.+),
this time in pastebin | eos-sendlog:

$ uname -a
$ grep "^GRUB_CMDLINE" /etc/default/grub
$ cat /proc/asound/modules
$ sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel
$ sudo modprobe snd_hda_codec
$ lsmod | grep snd
$ ls /etc/modprobe.d/
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/disable-dmic.conf
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
$ aplay -l
$ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
$ sudo lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
$ sudo alsa-info.sh --stdout
$ inxi -Aa
$ sudo modinfo soundcore
$ pulsemixer -l
$ pactl list short sinks
$ pactl list sinks
$ systemctl --user status pipewire pipewire-pulse

INVARIABLE:

Distro: EndeavourOS Linux x86_64
Model: PC BOX
Kernel: 5.15.96.61.realtime1-1-rt-lts (no audio in 6.1.15-1-lts)
Pac: 1871 (pacman)
Shell: zsh 5.9
Res: 1920x1080
WM: bspwm
Theme: Arc-Dark [GTK3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK3]
Term: alacritty
Terminal Font: JetBrains Mono
CPU: Intel Pentium J4205 (4) @ 2.600GHz [51.0°C]
GPu: Intel Apollo Lake [HD Graphics 505]
Memory: 1309MiB / 5764MiB
CPU Usage: 37%
Disk (/): 45G / 230G (20%)

$ pacman -Qs alsa
alsa-card-profiles 1:0.3.66-2 alsa-firmware 1.2.4-2 alsa-lib 1.2.8-1 alsa-plugins 1:1.2.7.1-1 alsa-topology-conf 1.2.5.1-1 alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.8-1 alsa-utils 1.2.8-1 pipewire-alsa 1:0.3.66-2 tinycompress 1.2.8-1

$ pacman -Qs pipewire
gst-plugin-pipewire 1:0.3.66-2 libpipewire 1:0.3.66-2 libwireplumber 0.4.13-1 pipewire 1:0.3.66-2 pipewire-alsa 1:0.3.66-2 pipewire-audio 1:0.3.66-2 pipewire-jack 1:0.3.66-2 pipewire-media-session 1:0.4.2-1 pipewire-pulse 1:0.3.66-2

$ pacman -Qs pulseaudio
pamixer 1.6-2 pavucontrol 1:5.0+r61+gee77d86-2 pipewire-alsa 1:0.3.66-2 pipewire-pulse 1:0.3.66-2 pulsemixer 1.5.1-3

$ pacman -Q sof-firmware alsa-ucm-conf
sof-firmware 2.2.4-1 alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.8-1

Thanks again, Piero

There are some options you could try such as using wireplumber or try switching to pulse audio instead of pipewire. Not sure this will help.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/audio/pipewire/2021/09/

Edit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture/Troubleshooting#HDMI

…Already tried switching to pulseaudio:

$ sudo pacman -S pulseaudio pulseaudio-bluetooth

and back to pipewire:
$ sudo pacman -S --needed pipewire pipewire-pulse

Read/tried

…and switched between pipewire-media-session manager and wireplumber, too:

$ yay -S pipewire-media-session
$ rm -R ~/.config/pulse ~/.local/state/wireplumber

<…>

$ yay -S wireplumber
$ rm -R ~/.config/pulse ~/.local/state/pipewire

…what to say, Mr. ricklinux: seems we both are following the same paths - that actually are leading us to nowhere.

And after all, ‘some way’ it works: at least as long as some 5.15.+ -realtime linux-rt-lts will be available.

And just to avoid surprises:
$ grep '^IgnorePkg' /etc/pacman.conf

IgnorePkg = linux-rt-lts linux-rt-lts-headers.

And just in case, I’ve got my btrfs snapshots: and again, I can manually activate a bluetooth speaker.

Not so orthodox, nor clean - at all - but… shall we consider this thread at least temporarily closed?

I do appreciate your help, but I don’t want this to turn into a nightmare.

It’s up to you, Mistah - thanks.

1 Like

Have you tried running alsamixer and press F6 and select HDMI

Edit: Make sure is unmuted what is needed.

Uhm: y-y-yes, I did that: but as I told you, I’m shamefully ignorant about all this.
For instance, only now I learn that it’s possible to save/preset/etc alsa settings.

So: thanks, I’m going to see what I can do: maybe beginning with

It will take some time, tough, because I have to understand/learn ‘why & how to do what’, and then do it in both installations.
(And yes - incidentally I need that box up running - regardless of its HDMI audio :slight_smile: )

But I’ll be back with my results. Thanks for now.

This is the problem with sound issues. You have to start from the beginning and go through each thing and check and check and check. It takes a long time but is easier in the long run than posting a whole bunch of logs and information which I would never be able to figure it out that way. I always do one thing at a time. Show me a log for this. Show me the output for this and so on. Try this … try that! It’s a bit complicated as it may be codecs are incorrect or hardware assignments. etc etc.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.