Hello friendly people

Hi there,
I had heard 2 things about Endeavour OS before coming here:
(1) Closest Arch based distro there is to vanilla arch
(2) Friendly community.

Though I learned to install Vanilla Arch recently, I really think that people who are focusing on creating a distribution have a far better idea of what I need for a proper functioning distribution than I do. So, I thought that I would try an Arch based distro a try.

I tried a couple, but the things that I really liked about Endeavour were that you did a decent job of the Cinnamon desktop, which I favour. And when I Installed on btrfs, it created proper subvolumes automatically yeah! :clap:

So, thanks for the distro and community, Endeavour.

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Welcome, good decision …

1 Like

Hello There Bear!

1 Like

Welcome to the fun @Bear :partying_face: :tada: :balloon:

1 Like

Welcome to EOS, a great distro and really friendly community

1 Like

Welcome @Bear , enjoy your stay and don’t hesitate to ask stuff :partying_face:

P.S. @joekamprad i think we’ll need another patch of badges soon: Bear, Turkey…
Well, assuming they’ll make decent job of promoting their animals, like @Kresimir did with FROGGE!!!11 :frog:

3 Likes

Welcome!!

1 Like

Hello!

:enos:

2 Likes

I’m a newbie too. Just wanna add my welcome. Seems a good forum from what I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Welcome to EndeavourOs …

1 Like

Welcome Aboard!

1 Like

Welcome @Bear

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome everyone, see I already feel like its friendly here :+1:

1 Like

Hey Bear! Good to have you with us! That’s an interesting point on btrfs. I’m still stuck (for better or worse) on ext4, but the snapshotting and file healing options in btrfs are starting to look pretty sweet. The only reason I haven’t switched is because all my data’s stored on a NAS which has btrfs anyway, so technically, I’m covered… :smiley:

Enjoy the journey!

HI @anon79501528

Well, you might be covered, but it’s easy to set up btrfs wrong and not get all the benefits. I have seen a number of installers not get it right. Endeavour though, does do it right :smiley:

The snapshots are really nice and a big reason why I favour btrfs, though with ext4, you can still get snapshots using Timeshift. It uses rsync on a ext4 system. The snapshots take a bit a time to create, how much depends on your hardware. But generally, worth doing even on older hardware with ‘normal’ ram capacity and HDD rather than SSD or Nvme. It can get you out of a sticky situation.

The btrfs solution is nicer, faster and more versatile, plus has extra features, but if you are using ext4, Timeshift and snapshots are still perfectly viable - I did that for a few years, and on older hardware.

1 Like

Yep I have an external HDD (albeit formatted to ext4) connected via USB for Timeshift, - it’s an additional layer of security for those times when something goes awry. It’s definitely been a lifesaver on occasion…!