Hello EOS world!

A little about me, I’ve been in and out of Linux since the beginning with various distros. Most of my professional life has revolved around Windows as a Windows admin in large Windows shops. Because of my Linux experience, I’d always get tossed the occasional Open Source project. So I have a pretty good familiarity with Linux in general. Windows, has earned me a fairly decent income over the years and I’ve not had many Linux opportunities that were as consistent as M$.

Home wise, I ran Windows on my workstation, primarily because of gaming and work. What’s changed you might ask. Linux appears to have changed and for the better. I used to think Mint was the easiest install for Windows people. Everything just worked out of the box. I like to tinker a bit more and Windows gets in my way, a lot and much more in the last 5 years.

I’ve been reading a lot about how far gaming on Linux has improved, many thanks to Gabe. So I’m curious, can I live here yet? I don’t know…Can I do my work from my home workstation? I can answer that, yes. Can I game on it, with the games I like? I don’t have an answer for that yet, I think it’s a maybe. I’m just now beginning to explore Steam/Proton, but I need to get my controller working, so there’s that.

EOS slid onto my hardware effortlessly. Thanks to the EOS devs and the community for this.

So Hi! I’m happy to meet all of you!

10 Likes

Welcome! A fairly noo noob here - particularly with EOS. But I couldn’t agree more. Years ago I approached linux (mint) and wasn’t “blown away.”

Having engaged in some distro hopping, I recently landed on EOS, first with KDE/Plasma and now with i3wm - which is simply awesome.

It’s gotten me to make the switch the nvim, and next perhaps neomutt.

This environment + community is remarkable. Enjoy!

1 Like

Our local clown @keybreak made a thorough guide when it comes to gaming.

Welcome to team purple!
:enos:

2 Likes

Hi @goophin welcome

1 Like

Hello!

1 Like

Howdy :cowboy_hat_face: welcome to the purple :enos: life

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @goophin :enos: :enos_flag:

1 Like

Welcome aboard and this is a really great community! I started getting to know Linux when I had to administer Windows workstations in a Novell network environment. (if that name means anything to anyone)

1 Like

Welcome @goophin! :rocket:

1 Like

Hi! Welcome home!

1 Like

Heya!

1 Like

After resolving my sound and controller issue. I can answer the other two questions now. Yes and mostly yes.

It’s taken a bit to understand not just what is EOS, but Arch and systemd too. A lot of change has happened since I was last in the Linux world. Think systemvinit days It makes me wonder if I should do a vanilla Arch install. Looking at the compile time like a stage 1 Gentoo install? Nah, I think I’ll stay here and figure it out.

You all will have to put up with me now. lol

2 Likes