Hats off to the LXQt team

I have used Openbox on my desktop and laptop for several years. However, I was homeless for 1 1/2 years (not a bad thing, I sold my old house before I had a new one to move into). So the desktop languished in storage the whole 1 1/2 years. When I moved and tied to update it, I created a FUBAR system beyond any hope of recovery, and finally reformatted everything. Rather than just installing a new system with Openbox, I installed LXQt (really Openbox with a nice simple DE on top). I can honestly say LXQt and Openbox are made for each other. And Openbox’s rc.xml is a real treat. Kudos LXQt team.

6 Likes

Just to stir the pot a little.

Pudge

2 Likes

I’m wondering if a minimal KDE install with all CPU- and RAM-consuming settings turned to minimum couldn’t match it.

LXQt was designed for low resources (it came out of the LXDE branch). Seems a bit unfair to use a standard KDE install which doesn’t care much about savings for comparison.

3 Likes

According to a 2022 post:

@fbodymechanic is running LXQt and kwin. Guess we’ll have to wait until after Dec 31, 2023 to find out if he is still using this combination. I’m happy with Openbox at this point and don’t want to face a new can of worms with kwin and systemsettings.

1 Like

After reading this thread a few days back, I took out my old test laptop with Arch install of Openbox. Added LXQT for testing and enjoyed the results. Likely will play with it over the next few months on the slow days.

1 Like

I’m not. It was only a test, and I’ve been daily using gnome for about 2.5 years now (or whenever 40 came out).

It’s an interesting combo, but I’m getting tired of keeping things pinned together in all sorts of random ways. I’m happier using my computer as it ships for the most part and just enjying it.

2 Likes