Has anyone ever used Devaun Linux?

So once I made a post about how any distros that I use its laggy compared to Windows 7.

As mentioned before I have an Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card and I have attempted to install Nvidia graphics card, while it improved performance, it still lagged compared to Windows 7.

But for some reason Devaun Linux is the only distro that didn’t seem to lag, even without having Nvidia drivers preinstalled (I ran it in live mode).

Is there something that Devaun has that most other GNU/Linux distros don’t that doesn’t cause my PC to lag?

I get that it is systemD free, but then I tried using MX Linux and that also still lagged (as that distro is also systemD free). So I am not too sure what Devaun doesn’t lag?

Try, if you want, Fedora 31 is going very well !!
Captura de pantalla de 2019-12-11 14-00-04
neofetch FEDORA

Answering your question about whether someone used Devuan, not in my case, maybe because Debian, his mother, was too branched for me.

Debian is a distro that I respect very much, a great distro. You want to try Debian and its full potential, try only Debian, nothing more. It’s my simple opinion, just that.

Fedora did not test it since its version 8 and I always liked it. The latest version 31, I am using it and it goes like silk. I have also read with the issue of Nvidia behaves well.

I can confirm that. If you use the packages from rpmfusion it just works with zero problems. If you try to get the drivers straight from Nvidia and install them, not so much.

Pudge

1 Like

I rather use something arch based though but thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Oh I see.

If this is true, then how come Fedora behaves well with Nvidia graphics card but not other GNU/Linux distros? If it is using the same kernel, it should behave the same? What does Fedora and Devaun have that EndevourOS doesn’t have? Is there some package or something I can try and get for EndevourOS from Devaun/Fedora? I will in hte mean time experiment with Fedora to see if it actually works nice with my system.

I thought it would be the same thing if I get it from the distro vs if I get it straight from Nvidia?

Also it doesn’t make sense how Devaun works well without Nvidia drivers?

As a first measure Fedora a .rpm packages and Arch uses packages pkg.tar.xz

The rest also depends on the relationship of the companies with the software developers and also how much desire those companies have to be interested in Linux, since the business is, above all things in Microsoft.

1 Like

Here are the drivers that Fedora rpmfusion installs
# dnf list installed | grep nvidia
akmod-nvidia.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
kmod-nvidia-5.3.12-300.fc31.x86_64.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
kmod-nvidia-5.3.13-300.fc31.x86_64.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
kmod-nvidia-5.3.14-300.fc31.x86_64.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
nvidia-persistenced.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
nvidia-settings.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64 3:440.36-1.fc31

If you get the driver from Nvidia, you won’t get all those packages that Fedora has developed and added.

Now, in a EndeavourOS (Arch) setup, enter the following:

# pacman -Q | grep nvidia

And see what you will get.
nvidia-dkms
nvidia-utils
maybe one or two additional packages.

It should be apparent that comparing Arch to Fedora is like comparing apples to oranges.
They handle things completely different, which is not always apparent.

I don’t know anything about Devaun, If Devaun works well without any Nvidia drivers, perhaps they are using nouveau for the nvidia drivers? Just a guess.

Pudge

Ok so I tried Fedora and yes it is very smooth, especially when I clicked on the show applications it is very smooth. On Ubuntu and PureOS, they both lagged when I clicked on show applications button.

But when using firefox, it still lagged pretty much the same just like with any other operating systems beside Devaun (on Devaun it was smooth when scrolling up and down).

How does it make sense for Fedora and Devaun to be smoother than other GNU/Linux distros without Nvidia drivers. I don’t get that?

Is there a way to get EndevourOS to have the exact same configuration as Fedora with those Nvidia drivers?

Sure, with Linux ANYTHING is possible. Fedora is FOSS, so Fedora/Red Hat has a site with all the source codes. You could download the source codes, compile them, and then download and compile all the dependencies that work in conjunction with your new setup. Then package them all into pacman packages for all to use. And I am sure the EndeavourOS developers would be glad to take a look at what you’ve done.

Pudge

2 Likes

1 Like