[Guide] Easier way to install EndeavourOS ARM on a Mac M1 Parallels VM

I have found out an easier way to get EndeavourOS ARM up and running on a Parallels VM… Instead of having to install another linux bistro, and hijacking one of the virtual drives, I found a reddit post where one of the Arch devs (Tobias Powalowski) posted a link to an Arch Linux ARM *.pvm image for parallels.

Basically this is a premade VM with a very minimal base arch install installed. (standard it has 2 cores, and 3gb’s of ram, but this can of course be increased afterwards through the parallels console)
Download here

At the moment of writing there were 2 folders:
5.15.x
5.16.x

These are the kernel versions… I went with 5.16.x for this guide.

Just download Arch Linux Parallels Desktop.pvm.zip and extract. put it in the folder where your other parallels VM’s are stored, and simply double click it.
Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 12.53.37

When it asks you if you moved or copied the VM, click ‘copied’

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 12.53.49

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 12.54.01

When it first starts, it will spit out an error that it can’t find an iso image… you can safely ignore that… my guess is the creator still had his archboot iso mounted in the vm when he uploaded it.

When it is booted up you can log in with the following secure username/password combination:
Username: “root”
Password: “123”

Once logged in, we have to update the vm
But before we do that, we better activate the parallel downloads option for pacman.

Firstly let’s install nano by entering ‘pacman -S nano’
Once nano is installed, we can edit the pacman config file by entering following command:
‘nano /etc/pacman.conf’

Inside nano, we can navigate down with the arrow keys until we reach a line looking like this:
#ParallelDownloads = 5’

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.03.43

To enable parallels downloads, simple remove the hashtag, then press CTRL+O to save, and CTRL+X to close nano

Now we update the VM simply by doing the usual ‘pacman -Syu’ command
Go through the update process, like you would on any other arch install.

Once update is complete, lets install git
We’ll need this to download EndeavourOS ARM’s install script from the GitHub page

Simply enter ‘pacman -S git’ to install git
Followed by following command to download the script:
‘git clone https://github.com/endeavouros-arm/install-script.git

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.09.53

Next we will need to enter it’s directory by simply entering
‘cd install-script’

Entering ‘ls’ will show you the folder’s contents you will see something like ‘endeavour-ARM-install-V2.6.sh’ (version number will probably change in the future, but V2.6 is the version at the moment of writing)

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.11.01

In order to make the script executable, simply enter following command:
‘chmod +x *.sh’ (this will make any shell script executable, but since there is only one in here, it should be fine)

Once that’s done, run the script by entering:
‘./endeavour-ARM-install-V2.6.sh’ (or whatever the scripts filename is by then) you can also enter the first part of the filename, and press tab to autocomplete it.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.17.07

At this point the hardest part is done, and we should be in the terminal based installer.
Here it asks us whether we want to install a desktop environment, or a headless server.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.17.27

For this guide, let’s go with Desktop Environment

Next it will ask for basic things, like timezone, hostname, username, and the passwords for both the user and root.

Once that is finished we are asked which desktop environment we want.
For this guide, let’s go with XFCE4…

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.21.18

I will ask you to confirm if everything you entered thus far is correct, if so press ‘Yes’

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.22.08

Now is the time to grab a cup of coffee/tea… it will now automatically download everything it needs, and then install it

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.23.16

The amount of time this takes will depend on your internet connection speed.
Once it’s finished, it will ask you to press any key to reboot

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.29.23

Once rebooted you should be greeted with our login screen

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.30.05

After logging in, we are greeted with our beautiful XFCE desktop!

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.38.59

If you want more integration between Host and VM, there is a guide on how to install ‘Parallels Tools’ manually on their own website.

In order to get the parallels tools iso:
Open your Applications folder on your Mac,
Right click Parallels Desktop, and click ‘Show Package Contents’

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.43.25

In there you’ll want to navigate to Resources/Tools
From there copy ‘prl-tools-lin-arm.iso’ to somewhere you’ll navigate easily to… You’ll need to mount it into your Vm by going to
Devices - CD/DVD - Connect Image

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.45.54

Then go to the guide here:

And start from step 14

(ignore the last line though of step 14 though, unless you really want a symlink between python and python2)

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 13.48.05

Once that is all done, and you rebooted, you should have spotlight integration in your EndeavourOS VM, and your running linux apps should also appear on the MacOS dock.
Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 14.41.09

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 14.42.35

Sharing certain folders between the host’s Home and the VM’s home should also be possible now,
And of course automatic resolution changing when changing from full screen to windowed mode!

Many thanks to Tobias Powalowski for making this easy to use Arch Linux Arm image for Parallels.
(Original Reddit post here)

oh and if i made any mistakes, feel free to ask me, or any moderator to edit this guide

10 Likes

:+1:

I was looking for an excuse - to buy a parallels subscription- you gave it to me :slight_smile:

It worth mentioning the initial keyboard layout - it is not qwerty - at least not for me - it took me some tries to find the y where z is normally located :grin:

2 Likes

hmmm… did you use the same image?
i think i saw some people in the reddit post mentioning the German Qwertz layout, but i don’t remember having that issue myself

Ahh - you used the 5.16 - I used the LTS image - that is probably why.

I followed Krimkerre’s instructions almost exactly had didn’t have any issues. I did also use 5.16.

@Krimkerre thanks for posting this, I’ve wanted to set up EOS under parallels for a while but never had time to research it. Your guide was a piece of cake to follow!

3 Likes

Thaha I’m glad it was useful for at least some of us here…
I’m running i3 on there, and I’m really impressed with the performance…
At times I even forget i’m running a VM

it seems like a recent update broke the whole thing here…

stuck on this screen, and I have no idea on how to fix it…
stupid me also didn’t make any snapshots of the vm…

i tried setting up a new vm using tpowa’s image… but as soon as i update it again, i get the same problem

might you have any idea on how to fix this??

I don’t have any help for you on how to fix the situation, but I can confirm that the latest update did borked my EndeavourOS install as well. Fortunately I was able to go to TimeMachine and pull the prior day’s copy of the VM.

I am guessing it is related to one of the updated kernel packages:

• linux-aarch64-5.16.15-1
  • linux-aarch64-headers-5.16.15-1
    though there were also some systemd changes as well when I updated.
1 Like

Not totally unrelated, just somewhat:

This initial alpha release of Asahi Linux works across M1 / M1 Pro / M1 Max hardware except for the recently introduced Mac Studio. The macOS 12.3+ is needed with root/admin access to install. The installer allows for a complete Asahi Linux desktop installation, a minimal install based on Arch Linux for Arm, or an UEFI environment only. This installer works to still allow dual boot support so macOS can continue to run on the Apple Silicon hardware.

1 Like

ah yes… chrooting in, and downgrading to a previous kernel fixed it :slight_smile:

edit: tried installing the linux-aarch64-rc 5.17.rc8-2 version, and that one too didn’t boot…
guess I’ll stay on 5.16.13 for the time being…

@pebcak

Yeah i’ve seen it earlier today… but in this very early alpha stage i’m not gonna attempt it yet

2 Likes

5.16 installed just fine on my m1 mac air, but I wasn’t able to install the parallels tools. Specifically, it wanted to build and install hplip - whether or not I’ve already installed it using yay - and then broke trying to build prl_tg. Thinking of trying again with 5.15 …

If you update Parallels the issue goes away.