Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

Okay should work then with my instructions.

@android @anon49550872
thank you!
in my case it was the newly created eos-grub entry that did it ! :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

I gave up for this nonsense and converted my grub to systemd boot using @dalto quide :exploding_head:

2 Likes

It is definitely caused by running grub-mkconfig after updating grub.

If you don’t generate a new config, it works fine. So in theory, we could diff those files and see that the difference is. I will do that now.

7 Likes

Its not os-prober I reproduced the issue with os-prober turned off

1 Like

That user has a familiar name… @bitterhalt

My os-prober is also off.

1 Like

That’s a different issue, that user was still able to boot into the Arch installation.

2 Likes

I think I found it.

It looks like fwsetup --is-supported was added to 30_uefi-firmware

That line seems to cause the issue.

EDIT: However, that doesn’t really answer anything, does it? Does that imply that we should be running grub-install after grub updates?

14 Likes

Yay.

All hail to @dalto. Yet, what off now?

:question:

3 Likes

I do not and I never did. Is there anything that makes you (and @sradjoker , @Stagger_Lee and @anon11595408 ) think I did?

You are right, sorry, will delete my post

Nobody said so.
It’s strictly “to the issue” here, afaict.

noob question, but how long should we be ignoring grub updates?

You shouldn’t be ignoring them. You should be following the instructions here:

3 Likes

Calm down, arch is maintained by volunteers! you can’t expect them to throw away everything and run to fix some issue. They probably at work or otherwise indisposed. If you are this distressed by a broken package and anxious about minor fixable bugs, then you should think about using a non rolling release distro or manjaro, I think that one holds back updates.

2 Likes

generally you should wait a few days if you see a grub update. Right now you can fix it with grub-install before reboot. The next update will be fine probably.

1 Like

Windoze might be the solution for you, especially.

2 Likes

Hey friend, calm down a bit. I agree that software that makes mistakes should be withdrawn. But especially with voluntary work, it’s always such a thing: the one who uses it often takes it more seriously than the other who makes it. I think it is a fine line that is not always easy to walk for users and for developers.
And: even though I personally was totally annoyed about the grub bug today (I agree with you), I must not forget that I did not pay a cent for grub/Arch and I have to consider what obligations the grub or Arch team has towards me – or towards themselves.

4 Likes

Finally a post in arch forums
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=279115
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=279169

1 Like