Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

Disabled here and the problem happened, so this can’t be a factor for the problem to occur.
Also, we probably can exclude the dual boot from being a factor.

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
1 Like

If there is indeed a problem between os prober and grub disabling it in grub doesn’t mean it isn’t broken or breaking things.

hi, I managed to fix the grub and can boot, but Im getting a kernel error…

can you give more info? are there modules not loading?

edit: you can open a tty with ctrl+alt+f2 and veiw some logs

After doing this, run grub-install (with the correct options for your setup) to reinstall the GRUB loader. There are examples here: The latest grub package update needs some manual intervention

I did the os-prober test. It isn’t os-prober

7 Likes

This is unrelated. Open a new thread with actual information about the error you’re seeing.

2 Likes

Is it really so hard to understand what I’m trying to say? As a user I don’t care if it’s technically a bug, I want my system to boot and run. Downgrading seems to work so it’s likely that the problems are caused by the update. So why not pull it? Is it in any way important that it has to be pushed to users right now?

Booting from a Live USB, running arch-chroot, and downgrading GRUB (as explained earlier in the thread) worked and I was able to boot back into EndeavourOS. However, now GRUB is not showing an option to boot into my Windows 10 partition.
In /etc/default/grub I have it set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
Running sudo os-prober I get the following

/dev/nvme0n1p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi

Edit: running sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg fixed this issue.

The question is “why?”

Again, it hasn’t been reported to the people capable of doing the pulling.

2 Likes

How exactly do you propose that EndeavourOS pulls an Arch package?

4 Likes

I think you have not arch-chroot properly. Is it Bios or UEFI?

Hold your horses, pls. Noone knows exactly, what is happening, as of yet.

Open a new thread, it’s unrelated to the issues being discussed in this one.

1 Like

it says:
Loading kernel linux-zen …
452: out of range pointer: 0x89253020

Aborted. Press any key to exit.

It is UEFI .

You need to change in the BIOS the boot order, from UEFI OS to endeavouros-a_number
It happened here too and I fixed doing that.

Okay is your root /dev/nvme0n1p6? Is /dev/nvme0n1p4 the efi partition?

Edit: Boot on the live ISO

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p6 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/boot/efi
sudo arch-chroot /mnt

Downgrade grub.

1 Like

I had the same issue.

For me the solution was to go into my BIOS and select the EndeavourOS-grub as first Boot Entry again.
The instructions on here name --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub but for me the name was just EndeavourOS previously.

That’s why I needed to update the enrty in the BIOS again.

p6 is the root partition and p4 is the boot partition. As I got fro fdisk command.