Great first impression of EndeavourOS Openbox

Just installed EndeavourOS Openbox a few hours ago and I’m very happy with the first impression. It’s nicely themed without adding a ton of overhead I don’t need. I haven’t tried Openbox in a few years and I wanted to see what it would be like now on Arch and EndeavourOS set me up with a great starting point. I also thought the Add Apps pick list would be helpful to users new to pacman.

I’ve been learning Arch with the help of an EOS XFCE system for a couple of weeks and now I have a two systems to work on. These are both installed on metal, but one is a dual boot with Win 11.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these systems, as an old retired guy I didn’t want to tackle installing Arch “the Arch way” but I love the start EOS gives me.

11 Likes

I’m glad EndeavourOS worked out for you.

I assume the last four letters of your username means you live in Colorado?

Pudge

3 Likes

Happy to see another Openbox user. I left KDE/Plasma for Openbox and so far I don’t miss it.

4 Likes

You are correct.

1 Like

Click on my Avatar.

EDIT:
I am retired too.

Pudge

2 Likes

In that case: Hello Neighbor!

2 Likes

Which installation method did you choose to get open box up and running?

Was it this thread?

1 Like

I used the regular EndeavourOS iso and chose “Install Community Editions” from the Welcome screen.

Note that the install failed a couple times for me several days ago, and the install seemed to hang up, and the progress indication showing on the screen was at the beginning of the installing software piece. I installed on metal - dual boot with Win 11. I have a fairly good system but it’s over 2 years old. Intel i-5 CPU with 32 GB Ram. It does have a Nvidia video card but the installer set me up on the nouveau driver and I’m just going to run that.

But I downloaded the iso again 2 days ago and rebuilt the install USB stick and it Worked flawlessly for me this time.

Note that this is an “online” installation.

Welcome. I’ve been to Colorado once. Y’all should give Kansas the eastern half. I had no idea half the state was completely flat until I drove it.

1 Like

Imagine coming across the flats in a covered wagon - you can see the mountains, but for days and days they don’t come any closer! Truly a frightening experience, I’m sure. Even the hours by 18-wheeler seem to take forever…

:grin: :mountain:

1 Like

I remember getting to the Welcome to Colorado sign. And then like an hour later I saw the mountains. And it was legit like 4-5 hours before we finally got to them.

If I was a settler I’d have stopped in Denver too. Decided there was a wall we weren’t supposed to cross,and that’s it. hahaha

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll give it a go in VM. Currently running Gnome on Wayland. I also have i5 but 5th gen and 8GB ram.

1 Like

Funny you mention that. I felt the same when I was travelling from British Columbia to Alberta. Very scenic drive. Love the mountains and the view. Don’t have that in Ontario :disappointed:

2 Likes

The difference there is that you don’t have to climb much to go INTO the mountains. In fact, I don’t recall much of a hill (or road excitement) until nearly to Golden BC! perhaps a significant grade (for a horse-drawn wagon) to get to Lake Louise - but I made the trip more often with 18 wheels or 2, so didn’t really notice… :articulated_lorry: :motorcycle:

1 Like

Oh wow. Must have been a scary drive in winter ?

1 Like

On 18 wheels, never all that bad - on 2 wheels, you must be kidding! Of course, I can’t speak to how other road users viewed the scary factor when I was on 18! :grin:

Lifetime no-accident record, so it can’t have been all THAT bad - even over the Coquihalla (despite the representation of the Discovery show)… Rarely even had to chain up!

1 Like

:hushed: :clap:t4: :raised_hands:t4:

2 Likes

@MindTheGAAP - Good Luck with it!

1 Like