Gparted - Libparted error

I just updated.

[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ uname -a
Linux eos-plasma 5.8.8-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 09 Sep 2020 18:59:45 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ 

Yes… it looks like an issue with the file. I’m getting it also now since updating the kernel.

Can you do anything with it? Or better said, is it negligible if everything else is going well? All partitions are booted correctly.

I’m not going to worry about it. Hopefully it will sort itself out. I don’t see a problem yet.

Thank you, I am a little calmer now.

On 5.8.7-zen no problem . On 5.8.8-zen yes . I got the same warning

Arch asked to report bugs before 13 , so who is gonna report :thinking: ?

Install gnome-disk-utility and check your partitions if you are not sure . Mine looks unchanged on it .

You could report it then. :wink:

Edit: There is one report already not sure if this is different?

I think this is something else as it is dated from June 22/20

2 Likes

No ,I’m good . Newbies don’t report bugs :hugs: . Experts do :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have already done that. Everything all right with the SSD.

1 Like

I think it’s a software issue with gparted. Probably a certain file needs an update.

Edit: Or it’s a kernel issue.

3 Likes

Ok expert, thanks first! :+1:t2:

Kernel issue because , Gparted didn’t update ; kernel did :rofl:

Edit

This was a simple finding/assumption related to the topic and I have no idea why got flagged .
Anyway thanks for restoring , but I missed to see how it looks when flagged by someone else :joy:

1 Like

same error on manjaro testing & kernel 5.8.8 ( stable + patches )

2 Likes

:grin: No, Arch doesn’t force this on you!

You can skip packages from being upgraded by adding them to /etc/pacman.conf

To keep your current kernel just add the packages to IgnorePkg, e. g.

IgnorePkg= linux linux-headers
or even
IgnorePkg= linux linux-headers linux-lts linux-lts-headers

2 Likes

Apart from Gentoo where you compile your own kernel, I don’t think you’ll find a better selection of kernels on any other distro, than on Arch.

You can install linux-lts from the repos if you want the LTS kernel (currently 5.4). If you need an even older kernel, you can install it from the AUR.

For example, my laptop only runs smoothly on version 4 kernel. There is no problem running 4.19 on Arch, you can find it on aur.archlinux.org if you search for “linux 419” (make sure to install the headers, as well, of course). When you install it, it will just be another item on the GRUB menu.

Keep in mind, Manjaro is also based on Arch. If it is possible on Manjaro, it’s possible on vanilla Arch, too (as well as on EOS, of course). Manjaro just makes choosing a kernel a bit more streamlined, but they have not invented the wheel :wink:

3 Likes

The information in the error message(s) IS erroneous.

3 Likes

Well well, let’s watch this … :pensive:

1 Like

They just pushed a minor 5.8.8 kernel update and Gparted is still misbehaving.

FWIW, I just updated to 5.8.9-arch2-1 kernel and now gparted isn’t giving me any errors at all when I start it up. Hooray for quick fixes and rolling releases :smiley:

1 Like