Google-chrome

How do you install google-chrome?

Google Chrome is available via the aur, which can be installed using yay

yay google-chrome

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!

If you specifically want google-chrome, then the above is the way to go.
But there’s chromium that is almost the same, and officially supported:

sudo pacman -S chromium
2 Likes

…and also doesn’t have huge support breaks between ever-changing maintainers like in Ubuntu (since 19.10 there is this also only as snap).

1 Like

So if I install google-chrome by yay, what’s with updates? I mean, how to set up automatic updating of chrome? I guess this question applies as well to other AUR software that needs lots of updates. That’s mainly the web browsers, because of security concerns.

I don’t know about that, but running only yay will update both packages from repos and AUR:

To update your system, simply run
yay

To update only Arch packages run
sudo pacman -Syu
see this post: What is the app that i can download new apps fr repo - #4 by 2000

1 Like

So if I want automatic updating of software, it sounds like I should set up a script to run “yay” once a day, and I’m good. If someone knows how to do that, please share.

1 Like

I might be wrong, but I think it is safer to run the updates in a terminal manually, in case there is a need for some user attention. It only takes to bring up the terminal and run yay once a day if you so wish.

1 Like

No such thing as automatic updates in this context. You have to manually check. For AUR packages, you need to run yay and for EOS/Arch packages you’ll need to use pacman or your GUI front-end of choice.

1 Like

So let’s say I install Pamac, and I enable AUR, and I also enable AUR updates. As long as I install my AUR software by Pamac, that should give me automatic updating, no? I don’t think I will break my system by allowing Pamac to update Google Chrome…

It will allow you to perform updates, but if by automatic you mean install in the background or without you specifically requesting it to do so, then no AFAIK.

2 Likes

There is an option for automatically downloading updates in pamac . You can’t upgrade automatically , only download .

2 Likes

I am looking for what I am used to on other distros such as Ubuntu and Manjaro – you get a notification that updates are waiting for you, and then you hit a button and install them.

You will be getting updates, whenever there are some “automatically”. But those will not be “automatically” installed. Automatically installed updates on an Arch-based distro is not a good idea.

This

Or you run yay in terminal.

1 Like

You got two options for that .

1. EOS update notifier
  2. Pamac

You can use what you prefer . EOS update notifier is enabled by default . You can remove it and use pamac only for notification if you want . I disabled it because I check for updates daily .

1 Like

Okay, but EOS update notifier is going to tell me about software from AUR that I installed? Or only software from the EOS repo, or what?

I don’t know about that . When it says an update is available use yay to update ( yay -Syu instead of sudo pacman -Syu ) . That way you will not miss AUR updates .

Edit : Using yay only has the same effect as yay -Syu . It updates Repo packages first and then AUR packages . No danger there and quite shorter than sudo pacman -Syu only 3 letters like setting up an alias .

1 Like

Just a note - to install specifically AUR updates, use yay -Sua

I tend to run updates whenever they get numerous (gt 10) - but AUR updates about once a week.

Edit: corrected yay command to proper usage!

1 Like

Just a note, never use yay -Syua, use yay -Sua instead. Updating the pacman databases without updating the system can lead to partial upgrades. Also, it doesn’t do anything useful for AUR updates anyway.

In this case, it works properly because yay ignores -Sy when it is combined with -Sa. However, some helpers don’t have this protection so it is not a good habit to get into.

3 Likes

OOPS! Quite correct… I’ve just gotten too used to my aliases! In my case, a low probability of trouble, as the AUR update comes immediately AFTER a pacman-run update - but the potential is there.

2 Likes