Gnome Software use?

Getting rid of computer bugs. It’s like mans best friend! :laughing:

1 Like

No, in my opinion it isn’t. Manjaro is it’s own take on an Arch-based distro which has taken it’s own path away from being close to Arch. The whole idea of making their own repos is a big undertaking. I used it for a long, long time but, like many, found that it’s direction no longer suited me. Pamac is just a tool, it is not Manjaro or any other distro.

Ouch @ringo convenient yes but learning no! :wink:

I am not sure it matters much either way but pamac is part of Manjaro as much as any of the other Manjaro tools. It targets Manjaro and is hosted on the Manjaro gitlab. It is considered by the team to be Manjaro’s package manager.

From my perspective, it is the opposite, people are extracting it from Manjaro and including it in the AUR.

3 Likes

personally i use pkgbrowser a lot its pitty it get no love :slight_smile: tkpacman and vpacman in times not always but you got to love it or not… would atleast not use gnome-software or gnome-packagekit , pamac design was in the begin close to gnome-packagekit now more to a software centre

Without knowing the Dev it’s hard to tell if it has been extracted or just released by them, but I get your point and as you say it really doesn’t matter. There are far more pressing matters in life to get concerned about. :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

When I was using Manjaro, I always had the impression that Pamac is the “official package manager”, an integral part of the distro, and that Pacman was just a remnant from Manjaro’s Arch origin. Well, at least that was the ideal, which was sometimes thwarted by Pamac’s deficiencies.

Yeah it certainly came across that way. Luckily for me I always liked looking at updates in a terminal. Best way to learn is to see what is going on.

@dalto I am quite good with use of Gnome-software and Packagekit. Specifically because in 90% I install Flatpak version of packages and for Arch I use terminal maintenance (Upgrade Arch Packages, Uninstalling etc.) and install 10% of software. I used to be pamac-all user but the problem is that pamac is regularly broken ( like 2 - 3 times in year) because Manjaro is a little bit behind after fresh Arch.

But maybe when I will have some experiment mood I will try Bauth because I see that it has Flatpak support.

Using gnome software for flatpak install/update is fine. Using it to update your repo packages can cause major breakages.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @wove to the :enos: forum. Enjoy.
Have you see this interesting read on GUI installers?

Yep, I found that in my past by method “break it and learn what WTF happened” :slight_smile: I love Gnome and I hope that there will be better integration in future between Arch package management and Gnome-software. I prefer use whole Gnome ecosystem then usage of “third party” package manager via AUR (I minimized use of AUR packages to keep system even more rock solid).

Anyway I really love Endeavour with combination of my Tuxedo notebook. It is the best Linux experience I ever had. (I used all main distributions before).

Whoops! Just gave a “point up” response to your post. Sorry, I am not a Gnome user, but if that suits your usage then that’s fine too! :smile:

1 Like

That is a very good read for anyone who uses this distro. History is important. Without understanding history how do we understand why we are at the point we are at (deep)! :wink: :laughing:

If only Gedit and Gnome Files were better.

I agree. I use Nemo (Gnome files fork) like file manager in my installation instead of default one.

2 Likes

Your system your rule :+1: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I was hoping to could keep things as close to stock Gnome as possible.

There is Bauh which another alternative to Pamac.

I use it to manage flatpacks and just yay everything else

2 Likes