Gnome 43 Bugs

The issue you posted is about color managed applications it seems. Some applications cant pick up the ICC profile in Wayland (like darktable cant) so you have to manually assign profiles.

I dont think this is the same as your issue the person doesnt seem to realize that Wayland currently cant color manage the entire session (its in the works/WIP). Individual applications can manage their windows but global color management isnt really a thing yet and arguably also isnt really a thing in X11 as X11 doesnt actually tone map, etc. but thats another topic

1 Like

It needs more work. I was not at all confident Epiphany (Web) would be ready for prime time when I was in the group working on the alpha43 and beta.

WebExtensions is not enabled by default and does not appear in the hamburger menu unless you work out how to set it to true. I only know how to enable WebExtensions with flatpak, which I have long since removed. If anyone knows the syntax to get the WebExtensions to appear, we would all be grateful. This is one of the main reasons I even gave it a look.

Firefox syncing is great. I wanted to try an move away from Firefox and Vivaldi, but it’s clearly not ready for that.

I still get a lot of this

1 Like

Found another issue that is probably related to my color issue, but while the Night Light Toggle on the Quick Settings does work for me, the settings for Night Light do NOT work. Checking my settings in Gnome Settings > Display > Night Light, I can’t adjust anything and shows me an error message I’ve never seen before, so my color issue may in part be related to this as well: (this is under Xorg)

Screenshot from 2022-10-31 21-43-06

Im also seeing this, but i dont use night light as it messes with my color profiles. Ill do some digging on fixing this too

EDIT: this is fixed in 43.1

1 Like

Ah that’s good to know, Arch is still on mutter 43, and I don’t think mutter 43.1 has been released yet, so at least it’s good to know that issue will soon be resolved, thanks for that link btw. My current color issue is probably the worst bug I’ve come across (worse even than the pipewire 100% CPU issue), seeing my display showing all the colors incorrectly is like my laptop display is gas-lighting me into thinking all the wrongs colors are the right colors when it’s not :sweat_smile:

1 Like

this is how i feel looking at most peoples displays lol

I have a hardware lut and custom profiles for my display

I’ll try to give it the rest of the week for a possible workaround/fix/hack or something, but since most users on Fedora 37 beta/Ubuntu 22.10 didn’t widely report colors issues like this, I might be out of luck for a while. I can only stare at incorrect colors for so long before I go loco. So far my only for sure fix is to use Ubuntu 22.04, but that’s a last resort nuclear option :stuck_out_tongue:

Will gnome terminal and gedit update automatically to these or do they need to be installed separately?

Gnome-terminal only updates to gnome-terminal. If you want Gnome Console, you have to manually install it yourself as I mentioned in the first post. Same applies to Gedit and Gnome Text Editor too. Manual all the way!

Got confused for a sec. Thanks for clarifying. Do you think these other apps will be sunsetted at some point? I thought initially gnome just changes the name of these apps with some additional changes. But didn’t read much about it yet.

Edit: just found this… They are not trying to replace gnome terminal, and it’s more simplistic.

Gedit is not part of the Gnome group in the same way Gnome-Terminal is; Gedit is maintained by an independent developer who hasn’t been too keen on the direction of Gnome/GTK in the past and has stated they won’t use GTK4. So the Gnome devs created Gnome Text Editor with GTK4 in mind, which is why on Fedora and Ubuntu that is now the default text editor to use. Feature parity wise it’s mostly there and I don’t have any issues using either of them.

Most things are going to GTK4, so I try to use that when and as much as I can so I use Gnome Text Editor myself. For Gnome Console, that’s not really meant to replace Gnome-terminal, but more to compliment it. Gnome-terminal itself should see a GTK4 port by Gnome 44 or 45, but they still need a bunch of work to port a bunch of vte stuff over. For a GTK4 terminal tho, I recommend Black Box, which comes in a flatpak.

1 Like

They’re just less featured versions of gedit and gnome-terminal. I’m not a fan personally and don’t see why they exist but w.e lol

1 Like

They’re not there on feature parity AFAIK but that’s a matter of design choices and they may never be. If you want the 100% home grown GNOME they’re the way to go.

Idr what all is missing ATM, but I found text editor frustrating at times. I’ll try it again for G43 and see if my opinion has changed. Gnome console I just a weird second terminal, nothing bad just idk why it exists besides maybe they want a fresh start?

Everything works for me. Not a bug, but design of new quick settings, omg :face_with_spiral_eyes: don’t like.

1 Like

Maybe they borrowed some code from Internet Explorer :clown_face:

I recently installed the update and I’m getting 2 problems probably related, whenever I try to activate the extensions my session crashes and I have to log again, and that’s the second problem, now whenever i try to log in the first time it sort of fails(? like it does try to log but goes back again to log screen, and then the second time it logs normally.

Did they just remove the icon size in nautilus that I have gotten used to for years? For what reason lol…

urgh, is there a way to get rid of those toaster popus in nautilus etc? they must be the worst thing since popup-ads on the internet

No. Just clic on the “hamburger menu” in the top right of the window.

Taille d’icone <==> icon size

Nope, they removed the 67% or whatever size that was… It was the sweet spot between 100% and 50%.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/2505 Now it’s either too tiny then huge… extra huge… “2 giant icons in a row” size etc etc.

I know it sounds like crying for such a trivial thing but it’s the case of having gotten used to certain things, and it’s changed for no reason. The reason mentioned is the maintainer thinks 64px is too close to 48px… In what world that’s true lol… smh.

3 Likes