Gnome 41 in the pipeline

That’s why i need a Wise old Gnomie to help me. :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, we got it all covered, right behind you. Just take the leap of faith!

1 Like

Going from KDE to Gnome? That’s a big leap!

1 Like

That’s why you need faith!

1 Like

You are always allowed to switch back to one or the other!

1 Like

I gave KDE an honest shot for a month with installed on my second-most-used machine (still used at least daily) … and it just convinced me to go back to Gnome. I am sure it’s the best choice for many people, but it just didn’t work out for me… it’s not you KDE … it’s me :rofl:

4 Likes

I think its made with Boxes in mind, it might even have an option to install it in boxes.

2 Likes

Hey us KDE kids gotta stick together. Don’t get sucked into the gnome home. :rofl:

1 Like

I sorta do this

I use to have tons of extensions but that was just me trying to replicate what i was use to in Windows in Gnome. Eventually I started realizing things i never used or need, mostly now i just have user themes, frippery move clock, weather, and Just Perfection. Only breakage Ive had in recent memory was OpenWeather not updating to GTK4 right away but it otherwise worked.

3 Likes

I tried KDE for a week but there was just too much stuff i didnt want or need. I just want themes, weather, and my clock on the right side lol

EDIT: TBH i dont even need themes, just the option to change my titlebar color and accent color. If they do that like theyve been talking about somewhat I would use adwaita all day.

4 Likes

AWWW yeah its here

Now to wait a hot minute till its in the Arch repos lol

5 Likes

Ha, and to those of you who complain that with every release they remove features, read the release notes. They actually ADD features.
https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/41.0/

In your face! :laughing:

Well, just kidding.

Actually i’m not sure about the future. A lot of controversy is going on atm (-> theming, libadwaita), but for now, i still just lke gnome, i can’t help it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I’ll be happy when/if they add the accent color selection to gnome settings. That’s my main want is the ability to change accents and headerbar color without a theme

image000000

1 Like
4 Likes

“Wait a minute, is Gnome Software (voice cracks) good now??” LOL Oh Nick never change :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Gnome is more close to perfection with gnome 41

3 Likes

After that is accomplished, will it approach usability?

Little things, like OKCancel at the bottom right of the screen where they belong (and have been for more than 20 years).

But nothing says they have to be there in all eternity :wink:
Habits are hard to break :innocent:

1 Like

True enough - but that one comes with more than 60 years of starting at top left, and proceeding to bottom right (reading) - and I’m afraid that one has gotten more embedded than habitual!!

That’s also why close/min/max is at the top left, menus are found from top left (on window, or screen) and toolbars (if present) also start in at top left.

Of course, if you read in an alternate orientation, YMMV - and perfectly justified too! :grin:

1 Like

Honestly, I found it odd at first when I started using Gnome to have the OK and Cancel buttons at top.
But I guess I made a new a habit.

I need to add that I am not a long time Gnome user. I made the switch to using it full time with Gnome 40. My DE journey started with Xfce and then Cinnamon (I have also tested few others). I use Cinnamon occasionally for keeping somewhat intact what i know already about it.

I do “use” KDE as well from time to time but that is part of my Cognitive Behavioral Therapy program :sweat_smile: