Fstab - TRIM (Labels)

So I recently asked a question before about enabling TRIM, and I read an article on it online from one of the websites they recommenced as well on the EOS wiki. However nowhere I read told me what the -noatime label meant. I wasn’t enabled only anyone else’s ftsab so I’m wondering whether it should be on mine.

<file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=68E5-B32E                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=9e7ca395-6117-495e-90de-7e16ef13c0fd /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1

https://tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/chap6sec73.html

Noatime will tell the filesystem not to record the last accessed date of the file. It increases speed because when a file is accessed (read from), it will also record that as being a time the file was accessed, and that writing to the file takes extra time, as does writing that extra data when it is being written to.

Generally it’s recommended to use noatime, for most users it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

I think atime means the FS records access time, noatime says don’t record it and that’s recommended for SSD to reduce writes but when I tried KDE neon with btrfs and the apt snaphot tool it couldn’t display the list of snapshots ‘older than’ until I had changed noatime to atime so the tool was explicitly reading from the attribute used by atime.

Since the installation is enabled, I never modified it.

$ cat /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   /              ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
1 Like

In case the access time is needed, one can also use relatime,lazytime options to reduce writes:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab#atime_options

1 Like

thank you all! This is all very helpful, I love to learn but I need lots of help and its seems EOS is the way to go!

3 Likes