For future installations, EXT4 or Btrfs

All these things I don’t need. Compression? I have a 256GB M.2 SSD, more than enough space for the OS.

Snapshots? Why? If something goes wrong, I reinstall EOS in a matter of half an hour.

RAID? No need, I keep all my data on external HDDs anyway.

Deduplication??? Wotz dat, please?

Self repair could come in handy.

Caching? Wotz dat?

1 Like

Isn’t it already? I guess I’ve seen during installation that we can chose between all the file systems. Or did I confuse that with GParted?

Finally! That’s clear instructions. So when the need arises I’ll choose Btrfs instead of Ext4.
Thankies

2 Likes

on manually partition yes but you can not create any subvolumes e.t.c. from the installer, it will be an option for automatic partition what will create subvols and makes it possible to fully-encrypt and swap with hibernate …

1 Like

I tried Garuda before ending up with EOS, and the feature(s) that attracted me was BTRFS as standard, a snapshot automagically created whenever the system is updated and the snapshots listed in the grub boot menu.

After switching to EOS, I looked all these functionalities up, and installed all in EOS. Now, when (or if, hasn’t happened yet) there is a boot problem after updating, I can just painlessly start into the snapshot before updating. It couldn’t be easier.

For me, those are killer features.

Agreed.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_Systems

1 Like

Journaling

All the above filesystems with the exception of exFAT, ext2, FAT16/32, Reiser4 (optional), Btrfs and ZFS, use journaling.

So, no journal for btrfs?

I wouldn’t make sense for btrfs to use journaling. It uses copy-on-write which is an alternative and arguably better way to solve the same problem. See here for a brief explanation of why.

4 Likes

Looks like you certainly don’t need Btrfs :v:

In case you are remotely interested, I’ll clear out some phrases:

Compression can be disabled if the user wants.

For many people, re-installing means a long process. Getting our development toolchain, installing the many programs we run, setting up dotfiles (for wm users) etc etc.

Basic users are probably fine with re-installing the system, since there actually isn’t much to re-install.

If you have the same file at two locations on your storage, it will not take space twice. This is a reason why btrfs snapshots don’t take any extra space when they are created.

Free sectors address are stored in memory so that when you copy new files, the writing starts instantly. Otherwise the system would’ve to first look for empty sectors on the storage.

2 Likes

Just use ext4. It’s old and reliable, and requires zero technical knowledge. It is unlikely that you’ll benefit in any way from btrfs if you don’t have any desire to have the features which make btrfs “better” than ext4. It is not like btrfs is going to make your computer magically faster or anything like that. It has some cool features that ext4 lacks, but if you don’t appreciate those features, you’re just setting yourself up for having to get used to something new and unfamiliar.

6 Likes

For now, my stable use computer is ext4. Tried and true. I’m learning and experimenting with btrfs currently. I’ve never really used it, and I know someday it will be the defacto.

If stability is of most importance to you, ext4 for now.

2 Likes

Cool. I’m the one that got away.

Why do I have to disable something I didn’t ask for in the first place? Compression makes the system slower.

Okay, so for the tinkerers it’s important.

Why would I do have a file at two locations? I’m not a computer expert but also not an unorganized scatterbrain.

Hah. I’m on M.2 and SSD on all my PCs, don’t care about free sectors.

Thx for the info.
xoxo

*Moderator note…please be mindful of the language used while posting :hugs:

1 Like

Oh no, no no, I am not a tinkerer at all. I am very happy if my system is finally done and stable. But over the years you learn a few things, which translates to certain ways to set up your software. I reinstalled recently (switching to EOS), and I completely underestimated how tight my security settings for Firefox were. Basically 10 extensions with their own setup/configuration, blocking lists/whitelists, each with their own backup and restore methodology. That alone took a long time.

Then there’s other software I need to configure. Reinstalling the right software, modifying the autostart to fit my needs, altering the global keyboard shortcuts, configuring the window manager, Double Commander configuration, KeepassXC configuration, Livestreamer-Twitch-GUI connection to livestreamer and VLC, VLC Addons, Lutris installation and default configuration, Steam setup and restore 500GB of games, each with savegames.

In your case, you might just have a tiny setup with few applications. I need more, and I need it secure. That takes time. If BTRFS snapshots help me avoid this, I’m grateful.

2 Likes

If you backup for example. Then you’ll have two of those files. One in your backup and the original one.

1 Like

@Orca
Just don’t do it because someone tells you to. Make your own decisions based on your needs, the facts, the amount of work it takes and what you are interested in learning or not. I don’t believe in the theory that everyone needs to think they have to know everything before they can use something. In the grand scheme of things i know little and i use the Btrfs setup on one of my computers. I did have it on triple boot also with one encrypted and two were not. It’s pretty reliable but i know very little about the setup. I just used @2000 wiki instructions and asked questions and i understand some of it. But, not much. Doesn’t stop me from using it or trying it. Your choice!

3 Likes

Yes, but they are on two different devices, so my main machine’s filesystem won’t help anyway.
Keeping a backup on my prime computer would be rather silly, no? So everything goes on external HDs.

Ok.
Even if I only understood about 2% of your post. :upside_down_face:

Yes, Rick, and of course did I make up my own mind. In this thread I found out I don’t need Btrfs, that it would even be counterproductive and time-consuming, so I decided not to use it and go with Ext4 in my next install as well.

1 Like

Well ext4 is the defacto file system and nothing wrong with it. :wink:

8 Likes

Tbh, this will help a lot. I’ve recently had a go at a BTRFS install. It works and it’s fine, but I didn’t get everything the way it should have been on first try. I imagine this will be the case for most people. There are a lot of BTRFS guides out there, all with subtle differences in their setup instructions. Also, there’s a lot more to BTRFS than there is to something like EXT4.