Font smoothing in wine

So I’ve been recently trying to run some applications via wine (7.0-rc5, according to wine --version). I’ve tried winetricks corefonts and winetricks settings fontsmooth=rgb, but the font in wine remains a bitmap font, not a smoothed out one. For example here’s winecfg:
For both winetricks commands I set the environment variables WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine. Any tips on how to get nice smoothed-out fonts in wine applications? Thanks!

One note: when I set in winecfg Graphics>DPI >= 168, I get smooth fonts, but that font size is much too big to use on my display. Also have AUR ttf-ms-fonts installed.

Dunno, but here’s a couple of links that may help:

I think that may depend on:

• DE and how it handles hinting
  • Type of display you have

You can try this winetricks together:

gdiplus
fontsmooth=rgb

Try to remove it and launch winecfg again, see if it’s not the issue

Thanks, replies are appreciated! I’ll take a look at those links.

It happens regardless of the desktop environment / window manager, as DEs don’t themselves handle hinting, they just set fontconfig options usually.

Same result on both my external monitor and internal laptop display.

Not the issue, I installed it to try to fix the issue - but removed again as a test, and still not working.

Thanks for the suggestion, but still not working with gdiplus and fontsmooth rgb.

1 Like

Usually, but i think that some add unconventional stuff on top (that’s purely from user observation)

Now here i’m out of ideas, still what types of monitors are they?
Maybe (not likely) you need to force some other fontsmooth mode

I’ve fond that some recommend to apply winetricks with same settings wineprefix was created, so:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks fontsmooth-rgb

btw, i see 0 reasons to use win32 prefixes this days, unless you absolutely require it, most things works perfectly with x64 so maybe try to create another x64 prefix and test if fontsmoothing works there

1 Like

my internal laptop panel I’m not sure. my external monitor is a 24" 1920x1200 Dell monitor, but I think it’s not the issue.

Originally I tried with a 64-bit prefix, but then wine started complaining about “use at your own risk” or something so I just switched to 32-bit; Thanks for the tip!

Yes, that’s old news this days for very rare exceptions :slight_smile:

1 Like