Fn keys not working

Hi, I just installed EndeavourOS with i3 in my Thinkpad t495 and only the “airplane mode” fn key is working, but all of them worked in the installer.

Anyone has had this happen and knows how to solve it? Thanks!

EDIT:
Just realized, the volume up and down keys (not the mute one) are working, it just doesn’t notify, and also the bookmarks one

You probably do not have a correct setup for your keys.
Try to find your i3 config file (usualy ~/.config/i3/config). Look if there are any XF86somethingsomething keys listed there.

grep -i xf86 ~/.config/i3/config

For example I have this setup which works for me.

click here
# Volume
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec --no-startup-id "pactl set-sink-mute @DEFAULT_SINK@ toggle"
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec --no-startup-id "pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ -10%"
bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec --no-startup-id "pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +10%"

# system
bindsym XF86Sleep exec --no-startup-id i3exit suspend, mode "default"

# apps
bindsym XF86HomePage exec --no-startup-id firefox
bindsym XF86Mail exec --no-startup-id thunderbird
bindsym XF86Calculator exec --no-startup-id speedcrunch

# monitor brightness
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec --no-startup-id "xbacklight -inc 10; notify-send 'brightness up'"
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec --no-startup-id "xbacklight -dec 10; notify-send 'brightness down'"

Which keys do you want to use anyway? And what do you expect that should happen when you press them?
Since linux with i3wm is very flexible system you can for example get “A” when you press “sleep” button, you know?

4 Likes

@vlkon answer is really good, I would like just to remember that EOS has a standard i3wm config file which configure many of these keys: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/endeavouros-i3wm-setup

And here is the i3 wiki entry: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/window-tiling-managers/i3-wm/2021/03/

For some reason the first link is not active in the wiki, so it is easy to miss it. You can install the default i3wm config from EOS. I never did, so I can’t tell you how easy and how useful it is

Do you have experienced that the LEDs are not working too?
If yes, it is similar to the problems i had with a Lenovo E15. In the forums of Lenovo I have found a weird advice workaround to solve that problem:
Right after you boot the laptop send it to suspend and then start it again. You will experience that the LEDs are working and all the Fn keys too. This lasts until you reboot.