Floorp going closed source?

Interesting. It looks like floorp moved their modules into a private repo and it looks like if you build floorp from source you get less functionality than in their binaries. If you look through the commit history, you will see that many of the commits have code you can no longer see.

I guess now floorp has a partially closed source model similar to Vivaldi.

I didn’t see anything discussing this or the reasoning for it. Although, most of the details for floorp are in Japanese so maybe there is something somewhere. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

honka_animated-128px-9

Yet another closed browser, great.

3 Likes

Very sad if this does happen as I really like Floorp (despite the horrible name).

Just curious, where did you see this? Did you try building and comparing against pre-built? I looked at about a dozen (granted, I appreciate that’s not a lot) random commits from the past two weeks and was able to view the diffs for all of them.

It appears they (as required) pass on the MPL and MIT licenses from various things they use. Within the browser itself, they list all licenses (a LOT) and I’ve never seen a vast majority of them. It seems in addition to the above two, the other primary ones are variations on the GPL. Due to the huge number of licenses, I don’t know which ones allow or restrict proprietary licensing. I know MPL and MIT allow proprietary on top of them, as long as the original code licensed under either remains under those licenses and is available. From what I’ve been able to glean in a short time of searching, I find it a little confusing as to how Floorp licenses the modules and other QOL changes they’ve made. On the one hand it looks like possibly MPL 2.0, but it’s not exactly clear. I’m sure someone who has a better understanding of licensing can figure it out.

I’ll give it a little time to see what comes of it, but likely on to regular FF or another derivative… :weary:

Take a look at the most recent commit as an example.

You can see the commit happened but you can’t see what was actually changed since it is hidden inside floorp-private-components

2 Likes

Thanks! And interesting. Ironically, I didn’t look at the several most recent commits. :person_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

pRiVaCy VS sECuRItY

honka_animated-128px-20

P.S. Sorry, couldn’t hold myself! :rofl:

2 Likes

Does sound like the sound one makes when throwing up the lunch they just had. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Huh… Well, that’s kinda… dumb. I’m glad I use Firefox, honestly.

2 Likes

the “legend” of floorp is/was/who knows that a bunch of Japanese college kids made Floorp years ago in aqn attempt to put lipstick on a pig (Firefox my DD of course).

But I was only able to source that from one or two places.

they put lipstick on it and made it real attractive. I thought it was bright, shiny, nifty, with way too much cute crap.
–but that someone noticed this, moved to a private repo, and if they monetize it any way that will be your answer.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I remember commenting when someone first mentioned this browser that the sponsorship part on the github site was worded in a weird way

3 Likes

On the homepage it admits that its not 100% libre: https://floorp.app/en/