Finally installed EndeavourOS

I’ve been wanting to try EndeavourOS for ages but I was too nervous to make the leap from the comfort of Linux Mint on my ten year old ThinkPad.

I bit the bullet today and installed the Cinnamon edition, although my main desktop is running KDE Neon, the ThinkPad is basically used for playing music, music videos and running a browser.

I don’t know why I was so hesitant, the install was a breeze and apart from having to install VLC, Rhythmbox, Plank, QT5 Settings and QT5-stylesplugins it was ready to go!

It did fail to build GWaei though (Japanese dictionary) but I don’t really need it on that machine, I use Kiten on my desktop.

I’m an OS/2 Warp 4.5 refugee who migrated to Mandrake > RedHat (then Fedora) and then onto *buntu based distros. Time to learn something new!

13 Likes

Good on ya for taking the leap, hope you enjoy

1 Like

BTW I’m not an expert but am always happy to try steer you in the right direction for help if you ever need it

2 Likes

OS/2 Warp! Now that brings back rock solid OS memories compared to it’s peers of that day/era.

The Arch wiki is a great resource of information. As is the search function on this forum too.

1 Like

Welcome to the purple side :enos: :enos_flag: :partying_face: :tada: :balloon:

Cheers guys!

The last windows version I used for any length of time was Windows 3.11 :slight_smile:

I have a copy of OS/2 Warp 4 running in Virtualbox on this (My Neon) box!

I don’t think I’ll be running into much trouble (Touches wood) but who knows, eh?

Almost time for a beer run!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Welcome @Beerislife

:wink:

2 Likes

@Beerislife

congrats on leap + welcome to Endeavouros community. Arch like swim for 1st time ( you sink or swim ) Endeavouros help you float if start to sink. Give it time you be swim with the rest. Hope you enjoy leap of faith :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

new-to-arch

3 Likes

I can certainly find compassion as a Linux Mint/Beer/Thinkpad enthusiast myself. I see you’ve even found your way to the drinking thread. Welcome!

I like beer! :wink:

Welcome to :enos: :beers: :hugs:

1 Like

welcome and enjoy your stay here

Welcome.

Don’t forget backups, and test your restore procedure.

Understand how to chroot from a live environment, you may need to fix your system one day, better to learn how before you need to.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome.

There’s nothing to backup on that machine, it’s just my music files that are already stored on this machine and an external portable drive.

I was wondering why video thumbnails weren’t showing in Nemo but increased the size in settings from the very small default file size to something more reasonable and they’re back.

I just made a small swapfile, which I won’t probably need, next is to tune the settings for the SSD in the machine.

It’s an old ThinkPad Edge 14 0578CTO i5 maxed out at 8Gb RAM with a 500Gb Crucial SSD and it still flies! The battery died years ago but I don’t need one.

A bit too early for a beer here, time for lunch! Cheers!

Welcome! I used OS/2 Warp from 1994 through 2000 (hardware just got too new for that old system). I played with BeOS and QNX around that time, before settling on Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 (dual booted with Windows 2000). Glad to see another old OS/2 user! :smile_cat:

I also bought a boxed BeOS disk set back in the day. I think Hitachi had a couple of PCs that came with it pre-installed but I don’t think they were popular.

I was running OS/2 Warp and later eComStation on a IBM ThinkPad 390X, it was great!

1 Like

You’re in a good place here because as I read your post, you have a little experience using Linux.