File system error

Greetings fellow users, i am back once again.
To cut things short, i have a 8TB drive that had 2 partitions on them, one ext4 one ntfs, i wanted to put it back to its one partition state, before i was able to do any of that i noticed i couldnt mount the ntfs partition. (it always comes back with the unknown error while mounting messgae)

Ext4 one has no problems and works as intended.

Any help would be appreciated.

Should be able to create a new GUID partition on it and then format it using gparted.

Has the ntfs drive been used as the system drive for a Windows installation? The last few times I had issues with mounting ntfs drives it was a side effect of having fastboot enabled in Windows - this leaves the partition in what appear to be an unusable state.

If this is the case, and you have files you need to recover from the ntfs partition, the only solution I have ever had success with was to boot Windows from the ntfs partition, turn off fastboot from within Windows, the shut down Windows. You should then be able to mount the ntfs partition in linux if you need to.

I had also faced ext4, NTFS error after my debut here. Here is the link for it.

id like to get the data from it first, while not important i would like to avoid the loss

it hasnt

it appears you have access to the partition over there? it does sound like it

Yes … you’ll need to get the data. But if it’s not mounting it? Are you trying to access it through Windows?

I do not have windows on my pc.
im trying to access it through my endeavouros install.

This is what I followed to mount them.

2 Likes

i did try that, it did not help

Can you manually mount the partition while specifying the NTFS filesystem, as mentioned in the Arch wiki ?

mount -t ntfs3 /dev/sdxY /mnt

(Replace sdxY with the appropriate parameters for your partition)

2 Likes
mount: /mnt: can't read superblock on /dev/sdd2.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

Did you look at dmesg?

Use ntfsfix in the terminal, even if you can’t access Windows

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

where XY is the partition, e.g. a2 (/dev/sda2) or b1 (/dev/sdb1)

ntfsfix repairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows.

I do not know what it does.
and i dont want to make it worse.

Just do

sudo dmesg | eos-sendlog

Edit: Post the link

Refer this.

I don’t think the OP is using Windows at all.

1 Like

thank you
https://clbin.com/g6LbB

There are 3 points to fix the issue in the article which is to be done from Linux.

@AmandaONeill

Did you look at the output from the link? It has lots of errors related to it. I’m not sure at this point? I wanted to ask how you came to having NTFS partition on the drive and ext4?