File movement between EOS local drives

Hi,
Having looked at a few threads on the topic I thought I had this issue sorted, however I am still having issues with file transfers between drive.
My PC has a Linux NVME drive as well as a number of internal storage SSDs etc. Also a separate windows drive.

The local drives are mounting on boot up and I can read the data on them from EOS.

If I try to drag a file from from one of the local drives to EOS - no issues but if I try to do to EOS to local drive I am unable to do so.

If I create a file in Kate and save to the local drives i get the root authentication dialogue and can then save after completing, so this looks like I have messed up somewhere with the ownership privileges when i tried to Mount the drives.

Please can anyone point me to my likely error ?

LSblk -f out put is

NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda
├─sda1

└─sda2
ntfs HDD1 2C34074034070D10 665,8G 64% /mnt/HDD1
sdb
├─sdb1
│ vfat FAT32 4610-F3AC
└─sdb2
ntfs SSD1_Win FC20DB2320DAE3A4
sdc
├─sdc1
│ exfat 1.0 F4FF-3132 198M 0% /mnt/F4FF-3132
└─sdc2
exfat 1.0 E6BD-F148 573,4G 40% /mnt/M2
sdd
├─sdd1

└─sdd2
ntfs SSD2 EAE6F4C6E6F493D3 106,7G 54% /mnt/SSD2
nvme0n1

├─nvme0n1p1
│ vfat FAT32 50ED-F4E7 997,7M 0% /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2
│ ext4 1.0 endeavouros dc1d4aeb-4b27-46eb-aa51-40070415d711 311,3G 25% /
└─nvme0n1p3
swap 1 swap bf204736-af65-459c-add9-b7183fe20530 [SWAP]
[mark@mark-linux ~]$

and my Fstab is

UUID=50ED-F4E7 /boot/efi vfat fmask=0137,dmask=0027 0 2
UUID=dc1d4aeb-4b27-46eb-aa51-40070415d711 / ext4 noatime 0 1
UUID=bf204736-af65-459c-add9-b7183fe20530 swap swap defaults 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/2C34074034070D10 /mnt/HDD1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/E6BD-F148 /mnt/M2 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/EAE6F4C6E6F493D3 /mnt/SSD2 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/F4FF-3132 /mnt/F4FF-3132 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Thanks
Mark

This looks mostly like a permission issue.
I think every drive you mount in /etc/fstab is by default owned by root:root. Every file has set access permission read, write and execute. You do not have write permissions to directories owned by root by default - that is why there is a prompt for password.

You can check every directory with ls -l command
You should see something like this

drwxr-xr-x

Which means directory, owner can read/write/execute, group can read/execute and everyone else can read/execute

Then there is mention of owner and group names.

You can either change permission with chmod so that everyone cane read/write/execute but I would recomment to change ownership with chown instead if you are the only user on the computer.

chown -R USERNAME:GROUPNAME /PATH/TO/DIRECTORY

Check chown man page for detailed explanation.
You can also find some info about acl on the wiki - it allows finer adjustments to the permissions.

edit:

This short UUID looks like FAT32 partition (just a guess). Some filesystems like FAT32 do not know how to handle ownership so it may look like you have both read/write permission. In fact the ownership is just deleted on the files and the files belong to everyone.

Hi Vlkon
Thanks for the reply

I thought permissions and have tried sudo chown -R me:me /mnt/M2/ADirectory but unfortunately the response is as below
chown: changing ownership of ‘/mnt/M2/Anaconda3/pkgs/networkx-2.8.4-py39haa95532_0/Lib/site-packages/networkx/algorithms/tests/in
it
.py’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/mnt/M2/Anaconda3/pkgs/networkx-2.8.4-py39haa95532_0/Lib/site-packages/networkx/algorithms/tests’: Op
eration not permitted
^C

Maybe again i am missing something as in a prior distro (nobara) i didnt have this specific issue around access to these drives

thanks

Maybe it would help if you explained what file system you are using?

Is it going from ext, btrfs, zfs? to nfts, exfat

by looks you have ext4 and ntfs. NTFS does not share unix permissions.

Hi thefrog

Excuse my lack of knowledge, bu I am not quite sure what you mean with files system being used. The 2 drives, HDD1 and M2 , that you mentioned are my data drives that I have used for a while both from the windows system and the previous Linux distro without any rw issues. So again I think I am missing some understanding on how EOS is different.

The EOS install was I believe the standard EFI and GPT and EXT4, full erase and new install on the separate NVME drive

Happy to provide more info or try make changes to check

I don’t believe exfat has support for Linux File Permissions. This is where I believe your issue is.

Perhaps this will help

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS-3G#Linux_compatible_permissions

@pebcak Would this apply to exfat? I’m very ignorant with the MS stuff as its been to long since i’ve messed with it.

I believe it should work for exfat as well.
Have a look at the following thread:

Thanks pebcak for that link, the answer was at the end of the topic using the umount, then systemctl suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your patience

You are welcome! Glad to hear that that post helped to resolve the issue.
:enos: :handshake:t5:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.