Favourite movies

just wanted to see the taste of people here and share some of mine, perhaps i can even find a new favorite in the replies. :wink:

for fantasy:
gotta put my vote in for Lord of the rings as the the best trilogy to this date.
to the point i even started re watching it again, return of the king is next on the copping block on sunday, the extended edition with 4 hours and 22 minutes.
i just find it to be everybody involved at their best, the performances, peter jackson, the costumes, the locations, it all just fits together so well.

horror movies:
Ring (リング, 1998), just a classic that just cant be beat by the numerous other iterations and remakes.

superhero movies: probably the one everybody else and their mother knows about, infinity war

action movie:
new police story 2004, i just love the more serious tone the movie has including the insanity that it neatly woven into it.

comedy movie: kung fu hustle, no context needed

2 Likes

I like Alfred Hitchcock’s movies. Psycho, Notorious, Vertigo, Rear Window… I love them all (except the Birds and Marnie).

3 Likes

Top favorite is always hard…
If i’m thinking about movies that i have zero doubts of being on top:

• The Matrix (trilogy)
    Innovations, visuals, graphics, soundtrack - is all nice and well, but what i really value extremely high is deep philosophy behind it, every move and every word.

It is XXl cenutry Bible, if you know what questions to ask - you’ll certainly find relevant answers there.

• Enter the void
    For it’s radical new form of audio/visual language. Yes you can argue that it’s started in Irreversible and continued in Gaspar Noé’s next works - but that is something else, perfected to nearly alien level of communication.

I can name tons more of genius or just good movies that i love, but i focused here only on revelations, radically different experiences :hole:

1 Like

The Hatter’s Ghost
Time of the Gypsies
Arizona Dream
Underground
Snatch
Shoot 'Em Up

And many more ofc.
And there is this great BBC TV show Luther i recommend all the time.

2 Likes

Gregory’s Girl
Almost Famous
Trainspotting
The Magnificent Seven
Midnight In Paris

Loads more but these ones I pull out and watch most regularly.

1 Like

Bond - Goldfinger

1 Like

In a certain period of my life, movies made by Pier Paolo Pasolini made a great impact on me, most notably Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma.

1 Like

Salò makes me a big impact too!!

1 Like

I have too many favorites to list but here’s two:
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest
The Shining.

1 Like

Jack Nicholson Fan?

1 Like

I guess its obvious :blush:

That is an amazing film. I don’t think anyone having seen it will be left untouched no matter what interperatation they make.

It is almost impossible to list a favorite movie. But some that are a little closer to my heart are:

Mad Max (1979)

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

5 good movies in my opinion! I have a very hard time finding new movies that are good unfortunately.

2 Likes

For me the best Bond film is For Your Eyes Only (1981).

Edit:
My movies I have with Bond:

Bond

Most of it I think?

1 Like

The Matrix

Back to the Future

Interstellar

Blues Brothers

The Cabin in the Woods

and many moore …

1 Like

indeed …

1 Like

Another favourite filmmaker: Aki Kaurismäki
I haven’t seen all of his films but I like very much the ones I have.

No fans of Fight Club?

3 Likes

Haven’t seen it, but isn’t the first rule not to talk about it if you have? :grin:

I’ve never heard of any such thing, shut up.

1 Like