[scott@EndeavourOS ~]$ yay -S fastfetch
Looking for updates…
Nothing to do.
:: There are 2 providers available for fastfetch:
:: Repository AUR
    1) fastfetch 2) fastfetch-git 

Enter a number (default=1): 
==> 

Flipping it around to update flatpak first seems to do the trick! And I’ve never really had any issues with flatpak updates, I just like doing it in the terminal just to see which apps and runtimes are getting updated.

Edit: thanks for the quick help, now let me test this faster fetcher thinger

Quick comparison of just some of the differences between neofetch vs fastfetch:

Packages: 1232 (pacman), 44 (flatpak) vs 1236 (pacman), 31 (flatpak)
Resolution: 1920x1080 vs Resolution: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz
WM: Mutter vs WM: GNOME Shell (X11)
Memory: 1951MiB / 15878MiB vs Memory: 1875MiB / 15878MiB (11%)

Fastfetch also includes system font, cursor type, terminal font, battery capacity, locale language, disk space in / and /home; all pretty neat info to see at a glance. One key difference is the ascii art is better represented in neofetch than fastfetch, a minor grip for sure, but perhaps that’s a bug that could be fixed in a new release I’m not so sure. But in any case, it’s always nice to have options like this.

neofetch ascii:
Screenshot from 2022-06-04 15-36-01

fastfetch ascii:
Screenshot from 2022-06-04 15-36-25
You can notice the bottom 2-3 blue rows are shifted a bit too far to the left, so that it doesn’t curve around evenly like it does for the neofetch one.

You can send in a pull request with the fix @Scotty_Trees !!

You trying to make me do “work” on the weekend?! :sweat_smile:

I really admire people that are so productive that they struggle to earn even half a second more for more productive work!!! :rofl: :rofl:

To me difference is almost whole second :upside_down_face:

neofetch

real    0m0,946s
user    0m0,430s
sys     0m0,171s

fastfetch

real    0m0,032s
user    0m0,002s
sys     0m0,004s

That’s very noticeable even visually

1 Like

Especially when some people run it on every shell startup.

1 Like

I hope you spend this second in a very productive way. :sleeping_bed: :ping_pong:

This doesn’t sound very productive. I would let my terminal emulators open, just to not let some seconds get wasted in the dark… :joy:

3 Likes

Sure, you know what they say:

Compile/Execute fast - die young!

honka_memes-128px-41

2 Likes

I didn’t say I do it, but some people do. I use fetch apps only for sharing screenshots

1 Like

alias up='yay && flatpak update'

Though I actually do topgrade after a ‘yay’ update, catches flatpaks, checks GitHub, micro, pip3, snap, anf Firmware.

1 Like

While much faster than neofetch, fastfetch is still about 30-50 times slower than just

cat output_of_neofetch.txt

So, if you really want really fast fetch, run it periodically in the background and save the output to a text file (neofetch > output_of_neofetch.txt). This is how I would do it if I wanted to see this kitsch every time I opened my terminal. Anything slower than that would get annoying quickly, even fastfetch.

1 Like

Gave it a go, noticeably faster than neofetch, have switched over to it, with neofetch I would open the terminal and have to wait (not long 1 to 2 seconds maybe), with fastfetch it appears almost instantly

Lekker belangrijk. :rofl:

不错,很重要。 :wink: :sweat_smile:

用它来做桑巴?

أنا محتار الآنالآن :woozy_face:

1 Like

U WOT? :uk: :wink:

Go tapa de réir ainm, agus go tapa de réir an dúlra :ireland:

1 Like

While it is probably hardware dependent. For me, there is no noticeable difference between cat and fastfetch. Certainly, cat is faster and that would show up in a timing or if you ran it in a loop but visually fastfetch is fast enough that I can’t tell the difference.

3 Likes