Ext4 filesystem "needs journal recovery"

$ sudo file -sL /dev/sd*
/dev/sdb:  DOS/MBR boot sector
/dev/sdb1: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data, UUID=e243610f-aeef-4cd0-8dea-3456638f11f6 (needs journal recovery) (extents) (
64bit) (large files) (huge files)
/dev/sdb2: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data, UUID=3a129912-a5a6-460e-965a-e3007b28ce2b (needs journal recovery) (extents) (
64bit) (large files) (huge files)
/dev/sdc:  Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data, UUID=7daa2a65-491f-470b-9ce1-458ab86c90b6 (extents) (64bit) (large files) (hug
e files)

This “needs journal recovery” , do i need to do anything about it ? i found the article below saying just last time the data device was not shutdown properly while the device is mounted.
Is there anything i need to do ? scan for error ? fix disk ?

"needs journal recovery" just means that it hasn't been unmounted cleanly. This includes the case where the filesystem is still mounted. It also includes, e.g., if the machine crashed last time the filesystem was mounted, so it never got unmounted.

If its needed, journal recovery will be performed automatically when you next mount the filesystem. You could also perform it—assuming the filesystem is not mounted—by running e2fsck. 

Does simple reboot take care of it?

Have not try it yet. will pay attention to it when reboot. It brings no error , just want to know since i noticed it.

If it does not ? then what ?

Make sure you have a backup of your data.

what for you enter that command? at all?
it only says that this need journal recovery not a warning or something… totally normal output…
It will do that after some reboots, not every boot.

you can check filesystem manually but it needs to be unmounted for this, so you can boot from ISO or another OS on the system to do that, or simple wait till system do it automatic…

1 Like