Error on installation

what do you think about this @Pudge? I think @manuel can implement this pretty easily. I think this is an excellent idea.

1 Like

Adding a Welcome button is easy. The hard part is the script that the button will call.
I assume the script must determine the target SD/SSD path as well somehowā€¦

The script will work the same way it does in live ISO.
I donā€™t see why there will be a different.

The script was originally meant to run on :enos: system and it still does.

The button is ISO is just following the instructions given in this GitHub repo and running the script there

Could it be possible to add the script to EnOSā€™ repo as well?

I am referring this question to @manuel again.
So the button in welcome iso does a few things.

1. Launches another yad window with 3 buttons. Install, more info and cancel
  2. Install button executes the instructions given in git repo.

Few issues I see

1. The script is called by xfce4-terminal and I guess we can make it terminal agnostic.
  2. Make sure the new button/package would run in a freshly installed system both on ARM and x64

My personal preference would be just to add a button in welcome in both x64 and ARM for the ARM install.
I donā€™t think a package is necessary here, but I would like to know others thoughts on this.

1 Like

The big question here is:
What will all the EnOS x86_64 users think about having another button that the vast majority of EnOS users will never use. I can already see that a Topic on this would be inundated with Bloat emojis

I am just being realistic.

Pudge

4 Likes

Is it not possible to have it so that the button does what the current live ISO does? It creates the install image on another usb or medium so you donā€™t have to boot off of a live usb to image another medium? Iā€™m not saying it needs to run the script to install. It would be used only to create the install for arm. Or have it a link to the wiki page to run the script manually? Iā€™m just thinking out loud. So any of my ideas can be shot down with a valid reason. :wink:

Most of them donā€™t use Welcome anyways, so I donā€™t think weā€™ll hear anything from them.
They even think Welcome is bloat
:rofl:

yes you guys know exactly whom Iā€™m talking about

1 Like

Welcome is the best thing we got going. Without it what do we have? People need to start using it.

2 Likes

Yes!! I donā€™t think anyone would complain about an extra button amongst the many in welcome

Perhaps everything ARM related could go under its own tab?

2 Likes

I just worry this is headed down the same path of Antergos :man_shrugging: Just remember this is a small team based distro with what is now a huge following. Keep bending to every ā€œI want this shiny thingā€ when it is a terminal centric distro is not adding bloat itā€™s adding work.

3 Likes

There already is a ā€œEndeavourOS & ARMā€ button in the Tips tab on welcome

welcome

Maybe redirect that to this github URL

Which I have already modified to include both methods of installation
Please check for spelling and other errors.

Pudge

3 Likes

I didnā€™t catch any spelling or other errors. This works for me. Maybe change the button to
EndeavourOS ARM
or add another button?

Adding a button that has already been implemented is not extra work imho.

@manuel would have to be consulted on wording, extra button, etc.

Pudge

1 Like

Sorry, Iā€™m just new trying arm and i didnā€™t notice this. Wasnā€™t looking for it so i missed seeing this.

1 Like

No worries. All in all I think the above is a good compromise.

Pudge

1 Like

I would suggest that the existing button is kept as is. We can just add an extra page on the arm install page about the GitHub repo for advanced users along with instructions. So there wonā€™t be a need to change anything if needed.

Additionally, we can add a second button linking to the repo.

1 Like

Hi! :wave:t3:

3 Likes

While this is absolutely true, I wouldnā€™t worry about it in the context of Welcome.

You see, in the best worst case scenario, Welcome will become so bloated that it will be unmaintainable and will have to be dropped or reduced to something simplerā€¦ Terrible, just terrible, I know, but I could probably survive such an eventā€¦

2 Likes