Error message at boot : Failed to reconnect

Strange message (in RED) while booting, today, after last update.
When I boot I have this message for about 1 or 2 sec:

Failed to reconnect Handle 690 - Ignored - Access Denied
Failed to reconnect Handle 691 - Ignored - Access Denied

Then the boot process continue and I arrive to the Systemd-boot menu where I can choose my Kernel, and goes on normally.
So it DOES boot, it is just this message… and it appears before I select the Kernel.
Today was the first time it appeared to me.

Any idea how to debug this ?
How to find what are those Handle 690 and 691 ?

Everythink I can think about is connected normally: Wifi, BT, external disks, audio, etc…
Thanks in advance

EDIT: Next time I reboot I got the same behaviour, but now with Handles 691 and 692
EDIT 2: It it can be usefull, here is the list of the packages from the last update (Before the error was not seen)

[2022-11-11T13:26:56+0200] [ALPM] upgraded linux (6.0.7.arch1-1 -> 6.0.8.arch1-1)
[2022-11-11T13:26:56+0200] [ALPM] upgraded linux-firmware-whence (20221012.8b07c1f-1 -> 20221109.60310c2-1)
[2022-11-11T13:26:57+0200] [ALPM] upgraded linux-firmware (20221012.8b07c1f-1 -> 20221109.60310c2-1)
[2022-11-11T13:26:58+0200] [ALPM] upgraded linux-headers (6.0.7.arch1-1 -> 6.0.8.arch1-1)
[2022-11-11T13:26:59+0200] [ALPM] upgraded linux-zen (6.0.7.zen1-1 -> 6.0.8.zen1-1)
[2022-11-11T13:27:02+0200] [ALPM] upgraded linux-zen-headers (6.0.7.zen1-1 -> 6.0.8.zen1-1)
[2022-11-11T13:27:08+0200] [ALPM] upgraded netavark (1.2.0-1 -> 1.3.0-1)

Are you using a vpn?

I have Mullvad VPN installed, but not activated. It’s always “off” at boot, and I only switch it on from time to time.

Is the error referring to vpn even though it’s not turned on? :thinking:

I don’t think so… there was no change in the VPN package lastly. Anyway I have no idea how to debug this message at boot. Do you know where and how I could find to what those handle are referring to ?

I thought they were referring to vpn but you say no? So i don’t know.

Edit: Maybe check your dmesg.

but… you are using systemd-boot and the message shows up before the boot menu? that’s strange…

Yes, indeed. The messages do not appears in dmesg, neither in journalctl -b which, as I understand, is quite normal as those register messages AFTER the Kernel selection.

Don’t know if it’s a bug or it’s related to this one:

Don’t think it is related… I have Secure Boot disabled. (If it may be useful, I am LUKS encrypted)

so you talk about systemd-boot menu or passphrase section where you unlock the drive?

Well, it’s not so simple… in fact I don’t enter the passphrase, as after having switched from Grub to Systemd-boot (following @dalto tutorial, after the Grub chaos a few month ago) I left in purpose the decryption file / key in the system, so I boot without seeing any prompt to enter the passphrase.

In fact, IF I need in the future to re-install EOS, this time I’ll do it without LUKS as I don’t need it anymore on this specific laptop.

Anyway, I just see those 2 lines in red during 2 secs, then they vanish… and I arrive to the boot menu from where all works as expected.

only asked to make sure in what stage the warning appears…
And this because ei do not think that there is any sysytemd-boot related log before the systemd-menu shows up… and it can’t be from kernel because the kernel is chosen on the systemd-boot menu…
So the message is may from the firmware.

@joekamprad , I fully agree with your analysis. So I am back at first step (Sorry, I am not an expert…) and my question is: Is there a way to debug this ? If yes, how ? Or… shall I just forget it and go on, wishing that it may disappear in the future, with a new update of linux-firmware ? (After all, the system boots and I can work…)

I’m stumped there too… it could be that there is a setting in the bios that causes the error… or it’s a log output from systemd-boot that we’ve simply never seen before :wink:

I tried searching the web for the message but there is no helpful result.

OK, … don’t worry. I have a full backup done every 4 hours and another laptop just in case… so worst case scenario I’ll loose 4 hours work and some time for re-install… Best case scenario, those messages will eventually vanish at some moment just like they suddenly appeared.
Anyway if something changes, I will let you all know here :upside_down_face:

May @dalto know about if it is possible that these are messages from systemd-boot

I am waiting @dalto input with patience. No rush…

I have never seen that before. Further, a search yields exactly one result, this topic. Whatever it is, it isn’t common.

If it comes up before the menu, it can only be systemd-boot or the firmware itself.

It would be interesting to see exactly where in the boot process it is happening.

You could try running sudo bootctl update --no-variables to update the EFI file.

Hi @dalto , I did run sudo bootctl update --no-variables but I am not sure id did update something, it returned the following :

Skipping "/efi/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi", since same boot loader version in place already.
Skipping "/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI", since same boot loader version in place already.

Do you want me to reboot ? Then run a specific command, maybe dmesg ?