Error Message about D-Bus On Boot, But Running System Seems Okay

Hello there,

when starting my system, the screen reads an error message about dbus. I don’t really have any trouble, besides this message irritating me again on every boot. I’m not quite sure, but I think this might have appeared coincidentally after an update, where I made dbus-broker-units the (new?) default (see Dbus-broker is going to be the default D-Bus daemon).

$ sudo dmesg
[    0.860106] systemd[1]: dbus.socket: Socket service dbus.service not loaded, refusing.
[    0.860120] systemd[1]: Failed to listen on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.

On boot this is followed by a red [Failed] message repeating the second line listed above plus the advice to See 'systemctl status dbus socket' for details. I wasn’t able to get these two lines when printing my logs after boot. Aren’t they supposed to be in the logs or do I have to issue other commands to get these printed too?

However, seeing system status dbus.socket for details, gives me the following

$ systemctl status dbus.socket
● dbus.socket - D-Bus System Message Bus Socket
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dbus.socket; static)
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2024-02-02 22:00:24 CET; 41min ago
   Triggers: ● dbus-broker.service
     Listen: /run/dbus/system_bus_socket (Stream)
     CGroup: /system.slice/dbus.socket

Feb 02 22:00:24 lena systemd[1]: Listening on D-Bus System Message Bus Socket.

So, everything seems to be fine on the running system at least.

I also issued systemctl --failed, but it seems there is nothing to find in here too.

$ systemctl --failed
  UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION

0 loaded units listed.

I also found this post from around here:
Dbus-broker | New Boot Messages after the past month updates - #4 by kagetora13)

I’m not sure if this is related but the terms *Eavesdropping* is deprecated and ignored from there and Failed to *listen* from my situation, made me think if these two are like two different ways to say the same? In this case, I would just wait for an update changing the config file and could stop worrying something is about to go down on my system, right? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m noticing the same thing on startup or reboot and have gone down the rabbit hole, like you. I cannot seem to find anything not working, but it is still mildly annoying to see errors during boot.

Edit: I did find this on the Arch forums, but it did not work for me.

1 Like

This is happening to me too and the Arch forums link that @misanthrope doesn’t seem to work for me either. I would love to know if either of you got it fixed yet.

1 Like

Me too

I also have a ‘dependency failed for bluetooth service’ after the other two messages in red at boot

weirdly bluetooth works fine (I have both BT mouse and keyboard)!!

@tournamate @keithy I’ve not found a solution yet. There are more places where it’s being discussed online (albeit only a few, basically reddit and one topic on manjaro forums), but I’ve not found a viable solution as of yet. Similar to @keithy, I’m also now having the bluetooth error and it takes about 30 seconds for bluetooth to reconnect. It doesn’t seem to be an issue on reboot, but it is a problem when waking from sleep/suspend.

When checking status of dbus.service after reboot, there are no issues. I wonder if the issue relates to the system not having early enough access to dbus during boot, which causes the errors?

I never use sleep/suspend. Maybe thats why I’ve not seen any bluetooth issues