EnvyControl the awesome CLI tool to manage optimus systems?

envycontrol

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/hardware/envy-control/2023/03/

Just got a hint from the dev of it to add it to the wiki and here we are!
Someone using it already ?
Test it it should be really easy to use and its a CLI tool so hurray!

Give some feedback here and any hint on improving the wiki too.

4 Likes

O my… I must try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

give a feedback if done please!

1 Like

I have been using envycontrol for year or so on various Arch-based distros without any problems. It has been around for a long time, but original creator (His name is geminis3 on github I think) has stopped development. So bayasdev on github has forked it and maintaining it now. He is very active and probably will keep the project alive for a long time.

1 Like

yes he contacted me over telegram yesterday and after this i added the wikipage.
Also it is CLI it is the most easy to setup and handle solution i think.

1 Like

Yeah, but I have a feeling, that article about envycontrol was already in discovery. And maybe it was through that article that I came across it. :grinning:

not at the wiki i remember it was here on the forum posted already:

I did not test, since I have no relevant hardware, but checking the code, I was wondering why “Support for EndeavourOS” was added with a commit for running dracut regenerate, while nothing about running mkinitcpio -P. :thinking:

Just mentioning for those who want to try it :person_shrugging: .

1 Like

In addition, the dracut command is wrong. We should probably contact the dev on that.

EDIT: I just submitted a PR. That seemed easier than anything else.

EDIT 2: The PR was merged. Support for mkinitcpio is not needed according to the author.

2 Likes

I have him as contact on telegram if needed…

I will still get around to it today, because optimus-manager if set to autostart with nvidia, often crashes the whole system.

1 Like

Unfortunately but simple in my opinion envycontrol -s nvidia, causes a black screen before logging in and freezes the system. It’s possible that I’m making a mistake because I’m installing the driver as for bumblebee, but without it.
When i use hybrid mode, then system works, but output from inxi -G

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
    driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 540M] driver: nvidia v: 390.157
  Device-3: Silicon Motion WebCam SCB-1100N type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8 driver: X:
    loaded: intel,modesetting failed: nvidia dri: i965 gpu: i915,nvidia
    resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: N/A renderer: N/A

not sure if it will work with 390xx ? because this version do not have PRIME Render Offload ?

Don’t work for me

:man_shrugging:
no render offloading…

1 Like

bumblebee could work for this

bumblebee lately sometimes causes the system to stop shutting down for a minute and a half so I use optimus-manager. Well my hardware is already old and there is nothing to expect miracles.