EndeavourOS Boot via Grub fails on MSI Motherboards

After a CMOS CLR due to a MB temperature below zero deg Centigrade (most probably), it is not possible to boot into EndeavourOS any more. Surprisingly, a similar problem appears after major Windows updates. CentOS and Ubuntu are immun and boot alright.

Rescue Option 1:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/systemd-boot
efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/nvme1n1p2 --loader "\EFI\EndeavourOS-grub\grubx64.efi" --label "EndeavourOS-grub" --verbose

does not work as MSI MBs are peculiar about efibootmgr not accepting it.

Rescue Option 2:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB#Default/fallback_boot_path

mv esp/EFI/grub esp/EFI/BOOT
mv esp/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi esp/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

does not work as then in BOOT and identical .efi exists but NVMe does not know about them.

Rescue Option 3:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub --removable

does not work, too, due to not installing the NVMe entry for me.

Option 4:

re-install works!

Question 1: which command does the installer run which fixes the problem?

Question 2: why are other OS immun? (EDIT)

For reference, EFI files in comparison - Secure Boot is off:

[root@localhost EFI]# ls -al ubuntu/
total 3488
drwx------. 2 root root    4096 Dec 13  2020 .
drwx------. 7 root root    4096 Jan  1 13:04 ..
-rwx------. 1 root root     108 Sep  9 12:53 BOOTX64.CSV
-rwx------. 1 root root     117 Sep  9 12:53 grub.cfg
-rwx------. 1 root root 1734528 Sep  9 12:53 grubx64.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root  856232 Sep  9 12:53 mmx64.efi
-rwx------. 1 root root  955656 Sep  9 12:53 shimx64.efi

[root@localhost EFI]# ls -al endeavouros-2723/
total 148
drwx------. 2 root root   4096 Dec 25 20:42 .
drwx------. 7 root root   4096 Jan  1 13:04 ..
-rwx------. 1 root root 143360 Dec 25 20:42 grubx64.efi

not really understand what that means :wink: it errors out ? and running this inside chroot after installing grub into installed system from there?

The grub-install command run by Calamares varies based on what it detects but one difference is it uses --force

Here is the relevant code:

1 Like

not really understand what that means :wink: it errors out ? and running this inside chroot after installing grub into installed system from there?

yes that is following the instructions closely; it says, it has successfully installed. Here “fails” means did not work, rather (edited above).

Any ideas as to why other OS are immun?

Yes. But did you repair it already? Is it still failing? Did you use The Force?

Ubuntu and RHbased systems use Secure boot signatures/certificates and installation methods.
The one that reset EnOS entry, probably has a reason to reset only the non-certified (non-SecureBoot) entries. (vendor or WinOS)

1 Like

What is the hardware? I have lots of MSI boards.

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog
[root@Z590 ~]# inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  6006    0    24  100  5982     29   7344 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  7369
https://clbin.com/M8vtJ

Just tried now: The Force fixes the problem! :slightly_smiling_face:

--removable just (also) puts it under /BOOT, I guess.

If aware, then one may have arch-root occasionally to fix boot issues which is sort of OK.

1 Like

There is a new UEFI update for that board that has new CPU Microcode and adjustments for the pci-e lanes.

Version 7D09v14
Release Date 2022-01-12

• Update CPU Microcode
  • Adjust PCIe Lanes setting
1 Like

Thanks, I missed that and updated BIOS with due diligence: guess what happened :upside_down_face:

BTW, is --removable really required?

Not in normal circumstances.

1 Like

It wouldn’t boot again? I would find this strange. All i know is that on dual boot Windows i have Secure Boot disabled, CSM turned off and I set to UEFI only not UEFI [legacy]. I also remove the secure boot keys before turning off secure boot. In Windows i have the fast start up feature in power management turned off.

1 Like

Right. So have I, all of the above. It took a while to figure removing the secure keys as well. Mind you, this time I did not.

However, that behaviour has always existed with EnOS since a few years and even on MSI (EDIT) AMD boards - for me, that is. I have not tweaked anything. I have a multi-boot Windows, EnOS, Ubuntu, CentOS.

Ubuntu and RHbased systems use Secure boot signatures/certificates and installation methods.
The one that reset EnOS entry, probably has a reason to reset only the non-certified (non-SecureBoot) entries. (vendor or WinOS).

That probably explains it but I have not been able to follow all of it.

I haven’t experienced this at all but then again i don’t run Ubuntu or Centos. I do run Windows and EOS. I would assume that the issue has something to do with those secure boot signatures/certificates on those distro’s and grub.

1 Like

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=250928

supports the argument kind of.

Those posts are 2008. UEFI specification was barely 4 years old. UEFI specs have changed and I’m sure there were lots of issues prior. I’m just not seeing this on any MSI boards i have currently. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A diff between my and your configuration might reveal the problem? :innocent:

Maybe but as i said before I’m not using Ubuntu or Centos. I have triple boot Eos currently and i do use grub but i also use rEFInd as a boot manager.

1 Like

rEFInd could be a solution. I am going to try Alma to facilitate arch-chroot when having to re-install grub every other month.

I guess, no one else on multi-boot is having these issues?