Endeavour + Arch install

You need the last piece

sudo btrfs subvolume list /

Well I am not sure what I have done now… thought I would give it another try and now I can’t do anything with btrfs because of the error.

I mounted into /mnt with # mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt
created /@ and /@home then
umount /mnt (all working as it should)
but as soon as I try the following command (worked before) I get the following error bellow :confused:

mount -o noatime,compress=ztsd,space_cache,discard=async,subvol=@ /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt

BTRFS error {device nvme0n1p} : open_ctree failed
mount: /mnt: wrong fs stype, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/nvme0n1p2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

You have an extra “u” at the end of “subvol”

ah my bad that was just me rushing on here, in the arch iso though It is all typed correctly and nothing seams to fix this error.
@dalto oh I also looked in other forums but all the advice I got was to just use the btrfs tools to try and repair or recover. Gave it a shot… didn’t help.

Are you doing a manual install of Arch and trying to do this?

@ricklinux yes 100% manual, even though Arch has its on installer now its not good and didn’t work anyway.

Iv had this error so many times now I can format and partition my drives with my eyes closed :weary:

Is this the snapper setup?

Edit: Trying to find the page you are working off of?

Well the Arch wiki talks about it a little when it comes to mounting the subvolumes
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/btrfs#Configuring_the_file_system

you can also check these people who use the same thing basically

https://www.nishantnadkarni.tech/posts/arch_installation/

Ya i looked at all that. I have mine set up and working and I"ve done it on Arch a number of times before coming back home to my EndeavourOS KDE. Just wondered what you are following.

This time I am trying to follow the video since he is installing what I want to install.
Still have Endeavour of course ^^ but you know I at least want to have a successful Arch install.

Actually saying that Endeavour should add the option to pick the Linux kernel you want to use. I would install Linux-zen if I had the choice ( don’t like having two options on the boot screen)

You install zen after. There is akm which is a kernel manager program. You can install kernels with it or just use pacman. It’s simple easy. sudo pacman -S linux-zen linux-zen-headers

Edit: Or you can use yay

1 Like

Yea I installed linux-zen on my current endeavour install with pacman ^^ Just personal preference that I prefer to have just one kernel installed.

Just tried this install again… same error in the same place -.- I even re-downloaded the ISO in case it was bad. and its not my nvme its brand new.

You must have something wrong then.

You can configure the boot order tho

Something wrong maybe but what ?
I’m following the video to the letter so it shouldn’t be giving me an error. even other guides go down this same route without issue. :confused:

@Dev0ut Yea I did configure the boot order to boot the zen kernel, but its extra steps that other installers have removed. Even the Arch installer lets you pick even though its still rough at hell and doesn’t work properly lol

Are you sure that the umount command worked?

Edit: It has to unmount what’s mounted so you can use the mount command to create these.

Yep the drive is unmounted, just tried again just to be sure and I got # unount: /mnt: not mounted

@ricklinux not sure if this helps or not… but even if I use gdisk to wipe my drive giving me my nvme with no partitions, btrfs still seams to know its been there before.
soon as I type # mkfs.btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p2 instead of it just formatting to btrfs… it tells me is has detected a btrfs file-system. making me instead do # mkfs.btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p2 -f to force it to override.

If I install ext4 instead and try btrfs again it doesn’t give this message so I dno :S

You can just remove the other kernel and then you will only have one.

It’s a REALLY long shot but, are you using mbr or gpt as partition table? (From what I’ve understood you’re having issues with the installation and btrfs)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/btrfs#Partitionless_Btrfs_disk

@dalto honestly… I have no idea you could just remove a kernel XD Still Linux is a learning experience.
@Dev0ut Yes it is gpt. I have a 1tb nvme which is partitioned into two

nvme0n1p1 - 512Mb EFI
nvme0n1p2 - 930GB - Linux file system

I can format it to btrfs just fine… but when I try to mount the subvolumes I have made it has a fit. never had this error the other times I have tried to install Arch manually.