Dreams and things I'm looking forward to

Things I’d like to see in Cassini or another future release? rEFInd boot manager, runit instead of systemd, maybe HAMMER2 support?

Things I’m looking forward to? KDE 5.26 and the Linux 6.0 kernel :slight_smile:

4 Likes

While changing out systemd is extremely unlikely, and I can’t find anything in Arch about hammer 2 (repos or AUR) so that’s also very unlikely.

Refind is actually possible after the grub thing.

Kde updates and kernel 6 will come whenever it gets to Arch.

1 Like

You can get both of these from the AUR.

Unnecessary maintainence burden.

Really? Some people here have just started experimenting with ZFS and many are scared from BTRFS and stick to ext4, adding hammer2 would be too fast :rofl: Also does it have any usecase except Dragonfly BSD?

2 Likes

Installer options to select systemd boot, grub or rEFInd?

2 Likes

Can you tell us, why exactly you’re looking forward to these?

1 Like

I always usually look forward to kernel improvements and GUI improvements :slight_smile:

I’ve also been looking into alternatives to GRUB since the issue that stung a lot of people, rEFInd seems good. I also prefer a lighter init system like runit opposed to systemd for less variables of issues, better performance and less security threat vectors. HAMMER2 is also a very promising storage system.

:thinking:lol

Kernel improvements, ok. As long as they really are that, improvements.
When it comes GUI improvements - well… beauty always “lies” in the eyes of the beholder, some say. :wink:

I was meh about the new features in the beta, but I am looking forward to bug fixes, including the one for this.

I can remember…

1 Like

I doubt that EOS will fulfill your dream of a systemd-free system.
But there are quite a few more or less well working systemd-free distributions.
Just have a look here.

I think I’ll hop for a bit until Cassini, maybe try out Nobara and Modicia

I have used only systemd-free distributions for many years. However, for various reasons, none of them really satisfied me. It seems like a fight against windmills, which is getting more and more difficult. Dependencies are created everywhere - even if they are not needed. Many of these distros simply don’t have the manpower to create a reliable working environment.

I still struggle with it, but I just don’t like to have to constantly tinker to make everything work or do without this or that tool because it’s not in the respective repos.

But I wish you good luck that you find something reasonable for your purposes.

2 Likes

I’m hoping for EndeavourOS with bootloader other than this piece of sh… GRUB. Over the years I learned to cope with it, even tho it caused me so many problems. But today I got so frustruted that I decided to create an account here and write few words about it. I spent last hour reading this topic: Btrfs + LUKS via tutorial = Slowwwww boot time because I’m facing the same issue.

Take a look: 2022-11-12-11:42:06-screenshot
Full img: https://forum.endeavouros.com/uploads/default/original/3X/9/4/94cfd67a0d1e33e8f83606ac36a7bebc786ba7f7.jpeg

And apparentely there is no solution, unless you willing to sacrifice your encryption strength (basically security of your data). I’m gonna switch to systemd-boot eventually but it’s gonna take some time :frowning: I know dropping GRUB for good is out of question, but have EOS team ever consider adding such feature so user could choose another bootloader before encryption/installation procces? And what is your personal opinion about GRUB in general?

Much Love to devs and community.

This is the exact reason i don’t use Luks. Too slow to decrypt for me. I want to boot process to be instantaneous.

@leet0
Switch to systemd-boot and you’ll be happy.

Edit: [Tutorial] Convert to systemd-boot

Edit2: As always if you are one of those with important data make sure you back up everything first in case the conversion goes south.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the worst part. I’ll manage. No need to worry :wink:

I’m not the expert on this but i have used the tutorial on non luks and had no issues. I didn’t use the manual process but instead chose the script.

1 Like

Clear enough for me, I think. Thanks for help.

Cassini for Xmas? :sweat_smile: