Does Endeavour OS come with a desktop after installation?

Hi. I’m Aaron. I’m 12.

Recently, I decided to try out EndeavourOS. I looked through the website, and read this:

EndeavourOS is a terminal-centric distro, so we don’t offer you GUI tools out of the box to make your jumpstart easier, instead, we offer you the opportunity to give you full control from the start in creating a system that suits your idea in computing.

So, does this mean that EndeavourOS does not come with a desktop environment after installation? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Welcome @aaron_r_v :yum:

Why yes, yes it does! EndeavourOS comes with the calamares GUI installer and the online installation process allows you to select from 7(?) different desktop environments. The default desktop environment is XFCE which also works with the installers offline mode. I usually recommend Cinnamon for new users just getting started on EndeavourOS.

Here are a couple of useful links I have posted to help get new users started…

Lastly,
ComplicatedWildKitten-small

6 Likes

Actually it should be 8 DEs + a WM I believe… XFCE, LXQt, KDE, Deepin, Mate, Cinnamon, Budgie, Gnome and i3wm. None of them is checked by default in online-installer as far as I know, please correct me if I am wrong.

@aaron_r_v welcome ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You would be correct! I forgot LXQT! :man_facepalming: So yes 8 DE’s plus i3 Window manager. None are defaulted in the online installer (checked). You actually can’t proceed with the installation unless you choose (check) one. Maybe i should have used a different word than default for XFCE flagship maybe?

1 Like

Thank you so much @BONK! By the way, I downloaded the .iso, and now i’m verifying it. Thanks!

Thank you! By the way, which desktop is better for 4GB of RAM? Deepin Desktop Environment, or Xfce?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I would go for the XFCE :slight_smile: It looks awesome with Endeavour theming and provides a nice complete desktop experience. Deepin has a lot of bugs at this stage, so some things may not work or be clearly broken.

2 Likes

Thank you! Now I’m going to flash the .iso to a usb stick!

2 Likes

You’ll get our Xfce theming with the offline install.
With the online install all DEs have mostly vanilla theming.

And welcome here! :smile:

2 Likes

Hey, thank you so much! IMG20200703182642

…and I’m installing it.

5 Likes

It used to be that you could install only the base without a DE checked. I don’t think that has changed.

Pudge

1 Like

I did not realize that. Thank you @pudge. Seems I have been making many mistakes today…

1 Like

Mistakes are only human… :smile:
and we all make them.

1 Like

I think (hope?) that it is more important that the mistakes are caught and fixed than that they are made! There is no way to get it all right all the time - long live a community that believes in backup!

1 Like