Do you use a password manager? I need one

Hello everyone,

need a password manager and don’t know which one and don’t want to test all of this.

So i need your help. Do you use a password manager? When yes, which one?

Thank you.

P.S.: I don’t need something special.

Bitwarden :+1:

6 Likes

I’m a lazy sod, so I’m using the one built in to Vivaldi.

3 Likes

My advice is this if you want an offline password manager, use one of the keepass variants, like keepassxc.

• You have control of your data and encryption, no cloud provider involved
  • If you want your passwords available everywhere, you need to manage the syncing of your password database to various devices yourself

If you are OK with using a cloud-based solution, use bitwarden.

• Passwords are easily available from all your devices on virtually any platform without any effort on your part
  • Also handles form & credit card filling on web pages

Advantages of both:

• Open source
  • No cost
  • Securely store information other than passwords
12 Likes

I’m using keepassxc on Linux and KeePassDX on Android for years…

4 Likes

Keepassxc on Linux and Keepass2Android on my phone and tablet.
Used to use KeePassDX as well but migrated to Keepass2Android 6 months ago and never looked back.

3 Likes

KeePass

I use keepassX in Linux, KeePassDroid on Android, standard KeePass on Windows.I then synchronize the KeePass database between all my PC’s and mobile devices with SyncThing. This way I can use, add, change passwords regardless of where I am.
There’s even a plug-in for my nextcloud server I think, but I never bothered.

1 Like

I’ve been using True Key by McAfee for years now and am very satisfied with it.
Also, here’s an informative video on password managers in general and their security

I use these two also. It has a very good browser integration in Chromium (Chrome) and Firefox. This is installable via browser extensions. It also allows you to get secure passwords created. No more braintwisting needed.
Just copy your password safe (*.kdbx) to any device you want to use it with and you’re ready to go.

1 Like

Thank you everbody i try Keepassxc.

2 Likes

I have made [ Bitwarden ] my go to Standalone Password Manager -
It checks all security marks for myself.
Cross-platform between operating systems.
Has GUI - so it’s easy to use

Haven’t discovered any negatives besides of course >> Never forget the Master Password
… as there is no recovery option - But this ensures the highest security.
Bitwarden available in Arch AUR

2 Likes

I know it isn’t the answer you were looking for, however I use the old-fashioned notebook with pen and paper, locked in a safe that only I know the combination to. Then again, I am rather old-school on such matters. Wait… did I say old school? I meant to say Stone Age. LOL!
“Yabba Dabba Dooooooo!” - Fred Flintstone (The Flintstones, circa 1960-1966)

4 Likes

Bitwarden…

1 Like

The one thing that keeps me from switching to bitwarden full time is they don’t include a form filler which I use heavily and have on a hotkey in lastpass. I’d prefer to switch but they don’t appear interested in adding profiles.

There is no generic form filler but name/address information can be filled via the identity functionality and credit cards can be filled via the credit card type.

I understand but they still require way to much manual configuration…On lastpass I hit alt q and my info is filled out…credit cards I can understand being separate but basic name and address? I enter ALOT of sweepstake forms…well until then I’m using lastpass although I’m not thrilled about it.

Bitwarden all the way. I’ve bben using on for months now. It cost $10 a year you can’t beat that. Good luck on your Journey.

I am using KeePass with Linux, Keepass with Windows and Keepass2Android. Database files are stored on my private nextcloud. None of my clients need to sync the data extra. It is synced every time I open the database no matter on which device.

1 Like

I have only good things to say of Bitwarden. It is not open source, but it is free.
Both for Android, Browser ad-on and in the AUR if you want it there (I don’t bother, I have Firefox running all the time anyway.

1 Like

All of the source code is available, you can run your own server if you want:

However, the stack is pretty heavy and complicated - there are alternative implementations (like bitwarden_rs) which are more straightforward to self-host and can be used by the browser extension.

2 Likes