Do you think it's true that SystemD has a backdoor?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/3oxbfb/does_systemd_have_nsa_backdoor_slapfights_ensues/

I read that discussion but still I am not sure what to believe.

What’s your opinion ? Do you believe that SystemD has a backdoor ?

Frankly if this is true its extremely disappointing. I left Windows a long time back & started trusting Linux. If Linux too is compromised I don’t know whom to trust.

I doubt it…

reddit is not a very credible source. Frankly, I’d trust 4chan much more than reddit. :rofl:

A very wise man once said something along: “reddit is a bunch of 101 IQ nerds who think they are the smartest in the world and look down on anyone whose IQ is 100 or less” (a paraphrase by me, I don’t remember the exact words).

Though, with systemd I wouldn’t be particularly shocked if it were true. I still think it isn’t, mainly because of Debian. Debian devs would probably notice anything spooky in it and make a big fuss about it. They are really concerned with privacy, so if something is included in Debian repos, I tend to trust it.

EDIT: changed the IQ values to be more accurate, thanks @Pudge

2 Likes

I don’t think SystemD would be a backdoor.

2 Likes

Well…It’s more of a BLOATdoor.

3 Likes

No.

If it’s true that EnOS is run by Microsoft. If it’s true that Canonical sells user data to Amazon. If it’s true that 1+1 is 3.

If. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq7QvcEjqs&t=199s

Just listen from 0:55 to 1:00

That’s the video from which I got the idea.

Well when it comes to soystemd wars, there are few valid points:

• soystemd is almost universal now (with a very few exceptions), and centralization is kinda…bad for a lot of reasons, especially potential of serious bad actors (like NSA or whoever else) taking advantage of it while using some yet unknown vulnerabilities.

• soystemd is bloated - and it’s increasingly hard to audit and test security on a big programs, there is always potential for vulnerabilities / leaks, if there’s technically just more place to hide something unobvious inside all the bloat.

• suckless have a lot to say :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s all true. However, if it really had an intentional backdoor, someone (most likely in the Debian team), would have noticed it.

That is not to say that it doesn’t have undiscovered security issues. It almost certainly does. But an intentional backdoor? Very unlikely.

3 Likes

But…what if that someone in Debian team glows in the dark?! :scream:

:male_detective:

3 Likes

While I wouldn’t be completely shocked by someone presenting me proof of there being phosphorescent agents within the Debian team, at present I still trust them to be the same paranoid free software fanatics that I’ve respected for many years now.

Likewise, as I said above, I wouldn’t be very shocked to discover vulnerabilities and security issues in soystemd, and I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of there being intentional backdoors, but I would require a much stronger proof than conjectures on reddit. It just seems very unlikely to me that an intentional backdoor could be added to soystemd and go without noticing…

3 Likes

1+1 is 3, symbols xdxd

1 Like

“Some people say …” is code for “Highly subjective opinion without any evidence but hey it’s good for a controversy and recreational outrage.”

3 Likes

The systemd outrage has mostly died down at this point. It would be great if we could not surface a 5 year old reddit topic to restart a debate that has been endlessly argued to death already.

If you want more perspective, just read one of the 678,865 threads/topics on it from the past at virtually every linux related forum and/or social media outlet.

5 Likes

That reddit thread was not the source from where I got this idea.
It was this Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq7QvcEjqs&t=199s
After watching this video I Googled " systemd backdoor" and found that reddit thread.

OK, let me rephrase:

The systemd outrage has mostly died down at this point. It would be great if we could not surface a long dead debate that has been endlessly argued to death already just because some “linux expert” who doesn’t seem to know how to modify the password restrictions on his own install decides to rehash it in order to get more views on his youtube channel.

If you want more perspective, just read one of the 678,865 threads/topics on it from the past at virtually every linux related forum and/or social media outlet.

:grin:

4 Likes

3 Likes

That video doesn’t tell you anything. It’s nothing but supposition. It’s kind of like maybe Windows Update is a back door and every time you run it Microsoft gets in and downloads whatever data it wants? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

One might say it’s very bad analogy :rofl:

:male_detective:

2 Likes

Just poking a :hole: :laughing:

1 Like

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/dolphin-is-bad/8987/17

Pudge

3 Likes