Ditch Gmail - Today!

In this day and age there is no valid reason to be using an email service as invasive and morally compromised as gmail.

Switch, today.

14 Likes

Done!

2 Likes

Rather then telling users to not to use gmail. it is better if you list equally good alternativies to it too :wink:

just saw the video :face_in_clouds: sorry

:man_facepalming:

It is literally a video which recommends alternatives. It even makes that clear in the thumbnail if you didn’t watch the video itself.

8 Likes

I use Tutanota.

3 Likes

I understand the importance of privacy and security, but if those are good alternatives I’m gonna stick with Gmail…

A really good alternative: mailbox.org.

… or https://mailbox.org/en

4 Likes

Why?

1 Like
2 Likes

I switched to Fastmail years ago and have never looked back. A few years ago I looked at other email providers, but nobody offers the features that Fastmail offers for the price.

And not only is Gmail invasive and morally compromised, so is the company behind it. I closed my YouTube account last year because Google thinks it knows best what is truth and what isn’t.

9 Likes

Well our work uses Gmail including Google calendar. So… Not much choice.

My Androids are hopelessly tied into Google properties. Eventually I’d like to migrate away, and use my protonmail account exclusively.

1 Like

I’ve been using Fastmail since before Gmail existed. It’s a great service.

Many years ago when I first bought an Android phone, I set up a Gmail account and used that when I switched on the phone for the first time. I only use that account for emails relating to my phone/Android account, and have never shared it with anyone. I’m sure that Google find ways to leak sand in/out of this sandbox, but it seems a basic way of retaining some privacy.

My email usage nowadays is small. So I’m not ready to pay for it. Those alternatives were quite pricey and those that have free tier lack lots of features. Storage was very small, no calendar support, in the free version, search is limited to four weeks into the past, no IMAP support etc.

Since 1996 - I have been my own provider :slight_smile: - my domain - now domains - has mostly been selfhosted.

For a couple of years one of my favorite hosting provider in DK has been hosting my domain for free - still do - the mail part of the domains is now fully migrated to the swiss proton provider.

I use a visionary account where I can use 10 custom domains.

The reason I chosed proton was the combination of vpn and mail.

I can only second Root’s recommendation above for ProtonMail from those nice people at CERN.

The base version, which is totally adequate for me, is open source, free and it has end-to-end encryption.

You can pay for extra features if needed.

2 Likes

Hear hear!

Sure but Proton mail(and others) aren’t that safe:

1 Like