Deepin Linux: Security Threat or Safe to Use?

Can we just get past this l :rofl:

This is arch deepin not deepin corporate. People way more qualified Than me like @ant and @honeywhite from another forum have dug into this de extensively. The only thing arch deepin used to do was ping baidu.com. Which was a corporate feature from deepin proper. Arch still makes this connectivity check no Mater what de you use unless you disable it. How else do you think you get a ā€œconnection so and so is now connected messageā€ when you log in, the os pings an address to test connectivity. As @dalto had already said this was corrected and now deepin pings arch Linux.

2 Likes

The strange thing to me is that on one machine running Manjaro, the Deepin desktop starts, on the other one running EOS, Deepin does not start, more precisely, you can log in, but I see a blank screen. Both machines are HP Compaq, one laptop, the other desktop.

Manjaro has slightly older dde packages so there could be differences.

That being said, dde is working acceptably for me right now on EOS with the latest packages.

1 Like

No, we canā€™t :upside_down_face: Thatā€™s what this thread is about, the rest is off-topic :nerd_face:

That is really weird, it looks like Deepin really hates you :confused:

And I am a total noob, but what do you guys mean by ā€œmultiviewā€?

1 Like

This:

Also, you are completely not a ā€œtotal noobā€ :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Doesnā€™t seem to work for me either, it is not doing anything when I click on it.

Yep, it has been broken for a bit. It worked when 20 was first introduced on Arch but hasnā€™t for the last week-ish(maybe longer).

2 Likes

I am the one that probably most resembles that title :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This is fixed with the latest set of updates.

2 Likes

If youā€™re worried about security, itā€™s probably better to try the DE on another distro

I donā€™t mind the official Deepin one, I just donā€™t like the fact that most packages are from the Commodore 64 era and I prefer Arch based distros

Iā€™ll be waiting for the non beta version 20 on EOS to test out Deepin again

Me too ā€¦Iā€™m very noobish! :slightly_smiling_face:

So far, I havenā€™t seen evidence of alleged spying. I just want to see it. Thatā€™s all.
Besidesā€¦ have you been there? Have you seen any ā€œquasi-totalitarianā€ country where the police donā€™t carry a gun?

I have the impression that not the only oneā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Are you saying they are transparent and everybody who says they have deep issues in human-rights area just tries to paint them bad? Anyway, as I said:

Cautionary matter, as in itā€™s not been proved in this instance, but it might happen.

ā€œmightā€ as in ā€œit would be more likely than in a country that respects human rights and where transparency and freedom of speech are guiding principles of governanceā€.

I agree the term quasi-totalitarian Iā€™ve used is a bit harsh and overly-broad, Iā€™ve only meant that in regards to their Internet policy and the subject at hand. Thereā€™s even a Wikipedia page dedicated to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China#Freedom_of_the_Internet

tl;dr: nothing proved, just caution

Well, the EOS Deepin in the test Thinkpad runs nicely, but on my desktop computer the background and dock are white and the icons are barely visible.

I have installed the Deepin distro Debian version and everything works. If you do the automatic installation it sets up some weird partitioning scheme with roota & rootb and a hidden backup partition etc. I have installed it creating my own partitioning scheme and I have removed the deepen-app-store and installed all other packages via the terminal. Has 5.3 kernel and is running Debian SID. No issues. It does connect to Deepin for the OS updating etc. Not sure if if itā€™s a Security issue but it works. :+1:

1 Like

So your screenshots were from this Deepin? I thought your issue was fixed :confused:

Sorry for the confusion,

This is the Deepin version that is Debian. Everything works. There is no freezing. Window effects can be on or off. Doesnā€™t matter but you need window effects on to use Multitasking which also works. The minimize and maximize works. I can do it as many times as i want and it works. It runs as smooth as silk with no issues. I have tried installing it from the online installer and there are those issues but the freezing is okay now. The Deepin arch version ISO i also tried and it doesnā€™t work. It also freezes the whole system. The Deepin Debian is flawless. :man_shrugging:

I have deep sixed the Arch version of Deepin because it just doesnā€™t work for me. I canā€™t live with it the way it is. I keep trying it but it frustrates me because in all the years i have used a lot of Beta software. I am not a developer and this to me is not fixes that i just go and change some settings or install something. It needs some serious work. The Debian version just works. :astonished:

I uninstalled the deepin-app-store from the terminal. Everything i installed from the terminal. Kernel is 5.3 and no problems. This is on v-box.

I installed it a few times with auto and now manual partitioning. Is it secure? I canā€™t answer that but it sure works well! Obviously i want the Arch version to work like this but it wonā€™t for me. Too many issues.

1 Like

From what I understand, is that the Arch version will be in constant beta. This is the reason why Manjaro dropped it and from what iā€™ve heard from the Reborn OS devs, they are about to drop it.

We made the decision to keep Deepin, since it is Arch and a lot of people here like to test and tinker.
From the July release, we are going to put a warning that Deepin isnā€™t suitable as a primary DE, but as a secondary one.

Iā€™m just of the opinion that i like Deepin a lot but i think the things that are wrong are not fixable by me. So i have tried every other option of Deepin and the Deepin Debian version works. Hopefully who ever is working on the Arch version can get it to this stage. :wink:

It really is up to the Wuhan Deepin group (something like that) and Huawei. They are in charge of it and no one else.

1 Like